190E, not driving smoothly, please help

well, I'm not imagining this. My '93 190E has gotten very sensitive to the throttle position. Push a little bit and it takes off like a jack rabbit and when letting go of the pedal the car slows down so quickly it makes one jerk forward ...... I have no idea.... any suggestions much appreciated

cheers

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

i just bought one and thought they were suposed to be like that, its kind of fun but recent frosty weather=plenty of wheel spins, that said i only recently passed my car test and as a former biker drive like a bit of a thug anyway.

Reply to
Unknown

Count how many shift the tranny made... should be two shift... What is the RPM at let's say 55 MPH?

Reply to
Tiger

Reply to
Wan-ning Tan

Thanks Tiger, did that. I count up all four ... mind you at times I get a 'double thump' at shift .... when I felt the flex disk coupling I could note some play between the drive and driven shafts .... Probably shouldnt be there. (ie, I'm holding the drive shaft while wiggling the driven shaft on the other side of the coupling) could some slack there cause such a pronounced effect I wonder

cheers, guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

You probably need to change your flex discs... will cause vibration at time.

At 55 MPH, it should revs about 2500 RPM range

Reply to
Tiger

Thanks, double checked gears and change-over again. Yes car and engine speeds are as you say below. Gear change overs occur just before 2000rpm, typically about 1800 rpm when accelerating 'softly' ... with the foot more heavily on accelerater the change over occurs higher..... say about 4500 to

5000 rpm ..... all seems normal...... cheers, will do the flex disk replacement as you suggest though just in case

Reply to
Guenter Scholz