1980 450SL Trunk Hinge

I am working on a 1980 450SL (w107) right side trunk and top storage deck lid hinge problem. The deck lid hinge is very stiff on the hinge pin. I removed the front wall of the trunk to gain access to the pin and am soaking it with liquid wrench but so far it has not freed up much. My question is, can you remove the pin without taking out the fuel tank? The stiff pin seems to be a long-term problem because the deck lid hinge arm was broken at its weld, repaired (by a previous owner) and has failed again. The arm is fabricated from two parts, welded together. It will be difficult to weld again in place, but it looks very difficult to remove. Has anyone dealt with this problem? I would sure like your input as how to approach this repair!

Thanks!

Reply to
jaybutter