'88 760 GLE trunk strut removal - help

In the trunk of my 760 GLE I carry my most useful accessory, a 3 foot piece of broomhandle for propping up my trunk and hood, as my struts failed some years ago. It's time to update my system to "hands and stick free", my heart can hardly stand the excitement.

The strut end closest to the rear connects to the hinge and is no problem, as it has a small clip to disengage the pin. The other end, however, is hidden in the front corner of the trunk, and I can't see or figure out how it comes apart. There appears to be a pin that I thought was a hex screw, but there is a hole that runs horizontally through the pin. My Haynes book on p.236 shows a configuration that is different to mine.

Thanks in advance,

Gerry

Reply to
Gerry

I think it just clips on, I know I had no trouble replacing the struts on the trunk of my 740, I undid the clip, and then it was readily apparent how to remove the other end, helps if you're flexible enough to climb in the trunk and sit in there, though have a helper nearby so you don't accidently get locked in the trunk, a very real possibility with failed struts.

Reply to
James Sweet

You're right James, it popped off with a little encouragement.

Thanks, Gerry

Reply to
Gerry