1983 300D oil spraying near engine?!

i had just returned from driving my 83 300D on about a

40 mile freeway trip. When i looked under the car about a half hour later there was oil all over the ground beneath the engine, and when i opened the hood oil was all over the top of the engine and had even sprayed out of the grill and near the air intake and everything.

at that point i checked the oil, and because it was a little low, i put it in about a quart, and drove the car about a block to park it. at that time i looked under the engine again and saw that oil was spewing out in the hard-to-see space above the AC compressor and below the power steering pump. hmmm...any ideas on what might be leaking?

also, don't know if it could be related, but earlier in the day the car popped out of gear when i was driving in drive. thanks!

Reply to
kate

I believe there are two hoses that convey lube oil to the engine's oil cooler (like a vertical radiator). The hoses are close to the drive belt for the power steering so if that belt snaps or is loose the belt may damage the oil filled hose.

Conversely, the leak may be from the power steering pump; it has a seal on its shaft. Check the power steering fluid level for if it runs dry the pump will be toast.

Reply to
-->> T.G. Lambach

I would say it is probably your power stearing fluid... check the level.

Then if it is not the power steering, then it might be the tranny... check fluid level.

If not the tranny, then I would say the oil is diesel fuel. Does it smell like diesel fuel? Were your fuel level dropping like crazy?

Reply to
Tiger

Thank you! Yes, the upper hose was sliced by the belt to the power steering pump. Thanks so much to both of you for your insights. Looks like its about $80 for an oil cooler hose (the upper)...

-Kate

On Feb 6, 2:32 pm, "-->> T.G. Lambach

Reply to
kate