1986 420 sel fuel pump relay location

My dad has an '86 420 SEL which starts and then dies. He read on other forums online that it might be the fuel filter, which turns out it's not. It might be the fuel pump, which I read you have to get 2, or it mught be the fuel relay pump and I would like to know where the relay pump would be located. We looked, but couldn't tell which one it was. It died at my Grandmother's house and he had the mechanic look at it to see if it was the fuel filter. We were hoping it was, but the filter is practically new. Anyway we had my Grandmother's car and took it back over there to see if we could find the fuel pump relay. No luck, but my dad started the car and it started right up. We made it home and then he tried to start it again and no luck. Maybe it will start agin when the engine's cold. Hope someone can help here. Thanks.

Reply to
mooky

Fuel pump relay is located in the fusebox.. the biggest black relay unit... a bit bigger than a cigarette box... and has the work "Kickdown" on it... on the side, there is a date stamp... if it is the same year as the car, it is definitely bad.

Reply to
Tiger

Reply to
WRENCHER
86 and up is outside the fuse box. On the rear wall between the brake booster and the BIG ABS control, next to the KLIMA relay. [81-85 was in the fuse box]
Reply to
Karl

and the BIG ABS

Reply to
mooky

I told you to look at the date... it is that simple.

Reply to
Tiger