Extended Warranty on a 2002 Maxima - Is it Worth it ?

I just bought a 2002 Maxima SE / six speed with ~ 38km. I paid ~ $Cdn

24,000.

I do about 30,000 km / year

Thing is I am eligible to buy an extended warranty that would extend the original 60.000 km warranty period to 120,000 km for ~ $Cdn 1500.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to where this is a good deal ? Or are Maximas so well built that they will probably not require anything major up to ~ 120,000 km ?

regards

Reply to
mfefer

One repair could cost you big time. I wish I had purchased a warranty with my

1999.5 Pathfinder. Would have saved me at least $700 US for a distributor that failed at 42K miles.

My philosophy is that ANY auto is capable of giving you costly repair problems no matter who built it. I won't drive anything out of warranty ever again as long as I can afford to buy a new car every 5 years or 60K miles.

Reply to
Meat-->Plow

I can't think of any better way to waste your money. Assuming, of course, your objective is to waste money.

Reply to
_Bob_

But could you have gotten a warranty in '99 for under $700 that would have made it cost-effective? If you buy a $1500 extended warranty and only have one $700 repair, I would say it wasn't worth it.

I have only bought one extended warranty in 25 cars. That was for the '87 Ford Aerostar. Paid for itself four times over.

None of my Nissan/Infinitis have ever needed enough repairs outside of the initial (free) warranty period that would have justified the cost of an extra warranty.

All Nissan dealers have access to the history of repairs done to the car by any dealer. Have one pull it up for you and you should be able to decide based on what problems it has had up to now whether the extra insurance is going to be needed.

Reply to
E. Meyer