240D Engine shutoff fails

This is a 1982 Meredes 240D with manual transmission. When the key is turned off the engine continues to run for as much as a minute. The vacuum system appears adequate because the power brakes operate normally. Does anyone have an idea about the cause?

Reply to
Padge Ahearn

You still have either a vacuum leak in your car or the shut off vacuum motor at the back of the injection pump has a leaking diaphragm.

Using a hand vacuum pump with a gauge, test the vacuum motor at the rear of your injection pump. You may need to replace that part.

Try testing the shut off

Reply to
VCopelan

||| Padge Ahearn snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net Writes: || ||| This is a 1982 Meredes 240D with manual transmission. ||| When the key is turned off the engine continues to run for as much ||| as a minute. The vacuum system appears adequate because the power ||| brakes operate normally. Does anyone have an idea about the cause? || || You still have either a vacuum leak in your car or the shut off || vacuum motor at the back of the injection pump has a leaking || diaphragm. || || Using a hand vacuum pump with a gauge, test the vacuum motor at the || rear of your injection pump. You may need to replace that part. || || || || Try testing the shut off

It is possible for a leak in one (or more) of the central locking componants is leaking, easy way to check is to block off some of the rubber connectors with golf tees (or 1.1/4" glass fuses) untill you find the leak. My 300d had exactly the same problem when I got it and both lhs door actuators were leaking.

Des

Reply to
Des

To see if it's in your door, try locking the doors after you start driving. If the car shuts off as it should the next time you remove the key, it's in the door. easy quick psudo fix.

Reply to
Frank Burns

Another spot check on those older benz's is under the passenger rug, there is a panel there which comes up easily and there is a hose connection there that sometimes gets kicked loose. I had to pull the hose off one time under the hood and suck it to shut the car off.

Jim

My 240D has a lever near the center of the valve cover on the driver's side which says "Stop". You can simply push this toward the valve cover to shut the engine off if you don't have proper vacuum or if the vacuum actuator at the rear of the injector pump is defective.

Reply to
Ernie Sparks

"I had to pull the hose off one time under the hood and suck it to shut the car off."

That's odd. My girlfriend tried that once, and it turned the car ON.

Reply to
aha

Frank, Clever diagnostic trick. I love those. Never underestimate low tech.

Ernie, I had a 240D with the same problem, and even the *STOP* lever didn't shut the car off. I had to put it in gear and stall it. Problem was a leaking hose under the dash. Old rubber, sucking air.

Reply to
aha