240D MGP question

I was just a bit surprised that you weren't aware that there is definite transatlantic agreement on the length of a mile, even if not on the size of a gallon. Am afraid you opened yourself to some gentle ribbing...

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

It would seem to be not quite gentle enough.

Reply to
Bernard Farquart

Indeed, the sensitive soul...

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

The message from "Bernard Farquart" contains these words:

You will have to forgive me, as I live in a country that has not decided if it needs to have metric or imperial standards. Thus, whilst we buy fuel in quantities of litres, we measure distance in miles.

French housewives still ask for a pound of butter at the grocer's, all those years after Napoleon established the metric system. They get served with 500 grammes... (Which ain't a pound weight.)

Though I am well aware that the nautical mile is an internationally recognised unit, I had no reason to think that the American mile should be the same as the British imperial mile. There are many American measures that do not equate to the old British measures.., the Bushel, for example.

Reply to
Gerald L R Stubbs

There are many American

No reason to get political, now...

Bernard

Reply to
Bernard Farquart

The message from "Bernard Farquart" contains these words:

It took me a few seconds to drop into your comment.... I discuss the Shrub in other ngs., but here restrict my comments to topics that pertain to Merc vehicles. :)

-- All the best, and thanks for making me smile, Stubbsy.

Reply to
Gerald L R Stubbs

The message from "Bernard Farquart" contains these words:

Just had a thought...... Why vote for a Bush, which is only half a Bushel ? You could pass that one on to the Democrat PR folk....!

Reply to
Gerald L R Stubbs

Yes, but that would mean voting for a Kerry, which rhymes with merry, which also means gay.......you get the picture.

Reply to
The earnest one

I usually just laugh to myself.

Reply to