380SE - how to replace flex disk?

Hey, Does anybody know how to replace the front flex disk on a 1985 380SE? I don't see the instructions anywhere in my complete set of benz service manuals. Thanks, Richard

Reply to
marlinspike

Remove exhaust heat shields to provide access to the driveshaft center support. Loosen the large clamping nut to allow the driveshaft to be telescoped together. Remove the two eight mm screws holdint the center support to the floor.

Remove the bolts holding the front flex disc to the trans and the driveshaft. Note exactly how the bolts and washers are arranged. Pry the driveshaft flange away from the transmission flange to provide clearance to remove the disc. Install the new disc with the bolts and washers in the same places. Reinstall the center support, tighten the driveshaft clamping nut, and reinstall the exhaust heat shields.

Bill Ditmire Ditmire Motorworks,Inc.

425 White Horse Pike Absecon,NJ 08201
609-641-3392
Reply to
Bill Ditmire

Nah... don't need to do all that... If tranny shop can drop a tranny without touching the driveshaft... then you can too. I actually did that. tranny mount has to be loose... take all bolts off the flexdisc... a prybar to coax the driveshaft to pop off the tranny end shaft... then change the flex disc... and reverse.

It is best done on the shop lift.

Reply to
Tiger

Reply to
marlinspike

Bill's way will take you days to do the job. Prybar is not excessive force... we are only talking about 1" movement total...1/2" from tranny and

1/2" from prybar.

Ugh... on the ramp? You will need a jack to support the tranny... otherwise you might rip the engine rubber motor mounts.

So whatever happens to the fuel injection distributor?

Reply to
Tiger

Reply to
marlinspike

Reply to
marlinspike

The price is always right with me!... hehehe

Reply to
Tiger

I had these replaced in mine at 160,000 and the mechanic recommended I also replace the bolts with new ones, so I did.

I don't remember the exact details of the conversation but it had something to do with the threads compressing. So, just a thought, if you replace the disks, you might want to see if replacing the bolts is also a good idea.

Alby

Reply to
-Alby Hewlet

Flex disks come as a kit with the bolts and nuts.

Reply to
VCopelan

40 minutes on 190 altogether

Prybar is always welcome if used along with healthy sense :-)

Helar

Reply to
Helar Laasik

You are not taking into account that Richard will be lying on his back... car only on ramp...possibility of rust on the exhaust bolts and having to acquire another set of bolts... exhaust cannot be moved out of the way... the cover of the transaxle held up by many bolts that will be a pain to put back on lying on the back... need I go on?

Reply to
Tiger