380 sl A/C question

Perhaps not really specific to a 380, but maybe more general to all M/B's(?). I was attempting to recharge my A/C w/ R13r. The fiiting looked like it had the conversion done, but the Shraeder valve was very near the top of the fitting. The R13 r hose would fit over the fitting, but would depress the shraeder valve way before locking into place, thus releasing the charge that was in the compressor. And I couldn't push the hose fitting to actually make a positive connection to the low side of the copmpressor. My question is , does M/B have special A/C fittings that are generic to themselves only? I have a "grey market" 380 SL, and I know there are some differences, but would these be one of them? Yes, I was trying to recharge, as the A/C output leaves something to be desired Thanks in advance for your input!

Reply to
Dasimaging

I am a bit confused by your message. Are you using Freon 12 or the newer

134a. The Fre> Perhaps not really specific to a 380, but maybe more general to all M/B's(?).
Reply to
Al

I am assuming you are trying to charge up the system with R134A... and on your car is the R12 fittings. You need the R134A conversion fitting adapters in order to make it work. It cost about $6 at your auto parts store... you only need the low side and the cap that goes with it.

With your A/C compressor running for at least 5 minutes with windows closed... do not charge more than 34 PSI... little over or under is okay... but try for 34 PSI.

Reply to
Tiger

Yes, you are right, Tiger, I don't know what I was thinking in referencing the r13r?/..but if my memory serves me correctly weren't the old R12 fittings a threaded type with a shraeder valve? This fitting looks like the new type R134A fiiting, (britght aluminun finish, diameter accepting R134A hose),but the schraeder valve is very near the top of the fitting? Is this M/B's old fitting?

Reply to
Dasimaging

Mmm... it is possible this is a fitting for a different refrigerant. R134A shrader valve is deep inside the fitting as you noticed... Different type of refrigerant has different type of fittings.

You should be able to remove that fitting if you still have original hose. R12 is threaded type. Also the low side has a bigger pipe than the high side... always fill using the low side.... and the low side also feels cold if there are refrigerant.

Reply to
Tiger

it may have already have been changed to 134

some of the kits have fittings that snug up tight and look original .

add a little road grime and it all looks like one piece

the case, minus a few cans!

Reply to
pool man

You may have the "high" side and "low" side confused. The "low" side that you are looking for, is down low next to the exhaust header on the 1984. Be sure you don't burn yourself. Very easy to do.

Reply to
Jack Archambault