85 300SD brake & suspension "knocks"...help

The ABS light is staying ON. When you hit a bump, and usually when you make a turn onto a street (especially if there is a dip), you hear a metallic pop or clunk noise. The steering acts/feels perfectly normal. Braking is good, not weak, but if the car is moving and you tap the brake suddenly with a bit of force, there is a loud clunk that you also feel (vibration). IF you brake really heavily to a stop, there is a definite abnormal vibration. The pops and clunks all seem to be coming from the right-hand front side. There is also a loud whine above about 15 MPH that is very low-pitched at that speed, but rises with engine RPM. It sounds kind of like dry gears. It also reminds me of how a truck with knobby tires sounds, or the noise grooved pavement for extra traction makes. That sound is coming from the front, but it doesn't seem to be specifically from one side or the other. The tranny shifts a little bit rough/abrupt, but otherwise is OK, fluid looks good and at correct level. I took the front wheels off and checked the right brake, wheel and suspension out, I cannot find any obvious worn or loose part. I tried shaking the wheels (when tires were still on) from side to side, found no play in them. The tires are wearing normally. The ABS sensor connections were OK at least on the front. I did find that the right-hand wheel bearings are dry/bad....it makes that dry scraping /whirring noise when the wheel is rotated, and it is the bearing, not the brake pad. So I have to get that wheel bearing re-packed. I was wondering if it might be a bad front shock, but when I do that sudden brake tap-test, the front of the car isn't dipping...not enough to set off a bad shock... so I am pretty sure that there is is something loose in the brake mechanism. What can I check? I am obviously missing something.

Reply to
Jim Caldwell

A new strut mount cured my clunk. Look in the engine compartment for the mounts.

low-pitched

Reply to
Dennis W

"... I did find that the right-hand wheel bearings are dry/bad....it makes that dry scraping /whirring noise when the wheel is rotated, and it is the bearing, not the brake pad. So I have to get that wheel bearing re-packed..."

Seems to me you have identified the problem.

Larry In the back yard, under the oak.

Reply to
Pandacat206

Reply to
Jim Caldwell

Electrical problem?

I would suggest replacing inner and outer sway bar bushings, and end-tie rod bushings (the entire end-tie rod is fairly inexpensive). New bushings really improve the ride of 15-25 yr old cars, and are relatively inexpensive.

Sounds like maybe you discovered this was the wheel bearing needing a repack.

Replace the bushings first. Much cheaper, and it could solve your problem. Do check the strut mounts. This is where the strut bolts to the shell of the car, via a big rubber cap thingie (the strut mount). Is the rubber excessively cracked and worn?

Reply to
Jason M.

A new OVP relay shut my ABS light off

--