Info on 1998 or 99 E300 Turbo Diesel

I am looking for feedback on the 1998-99 E300 TD. Is this a reliable car? I have heard great things about the turbocharged 606.962 engine (4 valve per cyl) in the 210 chassis. 5-spd auto. Makes 176 HP and 244 lb-ft, 0-60 in 8.5 secs, amazing fuel mileage (35-40 mpg on hwy). I have heard of some doing

1100 miles on a 23 gal tank!

I am seriously thinking of bidding on a 1998 model with 80k miles, going for $20k. Appears to be in excellent shape. I am looking for a replacement for my old Saab.

I have looked at buying a 1993 E300 2.5TD, but could not find one in good shape with reasonable mileage.

Comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks-Raj

Reply to
gator_mech

Keep looking for the 210 chassis. I had a '91 300D 2.5Turbo (211k miles) for about a week before it cracked a piston and a head. I found out later that the 602 engine was notorious for cracked heads after 150k miles.

I sold it to a guy that likes to rebuild cars and he ended up selling it when he couldn't find a decent replacement engine in a yard. There is a reason they are had to find....

I have an '84 300d Turbo 123 chassis that is very reliable(219k miles) and easy to work on.

Reply to
JJA

I have had a '99 e300DT for about a year. Great car. However, had to have the glow plugs replaced at 50k and the driver seat makes a clicking sound. These are common problems with this model

Reply to
mail

Replacing glow plugs at 50k miles is very common with any Mercedes diesel. It all depends on how many times you start your diesel in those 50k miles. The more times you start your diese,l the shorter the glow plug life. Clicking seat... Who know what causes that?

Reply to
VCopelan

Reply to
gator_mech

NJF:

Could you please tell me what is the ground clearance for your TD, at midpoint between the front and rear wheels? My driveway is rather steep and I am afraid I might scrape the MB bottom. My Saab has a 8.5" clearance and clears it easily. thanks-Raj

Reply to
gator_mech