'87 diesel injector lines

My '87 300D had a broken injector line for the second time, and it sprayed fuel all over the engine compartment . My mechanic said this was the only two he's ever seen! I ended up having him replace them all. Now the side of the engine is covered in diesel fuel. Can I safely spray the sides of the engine with Simple Green and spray it off with a high pressure wand at the car wash? Anything I have to watch for?

Reply to
David Streb

The injector lines on that engine are pretty thin. I've seen them break before. The injector lines on the older 617 engines are nearly bullet proof. Do you have the plastic clips which go between he injector lines? These clips keep the lines from vibrating and breaking. And yes you can spray the engine with a high pressure wand and simple green. It's a diesel and there is no ignition system to worry about.

Reply to
VCopelan

just avoid spraying the head and exhaust manifold if hot!

Reply to
dieseldude

Go for it... best strategy I've heard is to take the car to the wash with the sound encapsulation panels (the plastic panels under the engine bay) off, park the car, shut it off, open the hood and set the heat to full (with the key in 2nd stage). Wait until the temp gauge gets to about 60deg or below (5 minutes or so), cover the aux fan temperature sender with something (The plug above the point where the block meets the upper radiator hose) and spray away.

Plastic clips for the injector lines -- got em?

Mike

Reply to
Mike "Rotor" Nowak

GUNK works on a cool motor rinse with hose

the case, minus a few cans!

Reply to
IF YOU CAN'T SWIM DON'T JUMP IN

Yeah. Don't get soap in your eyes.

My '86 SDL had the same problem.

Reply to
Kevin L. Bray

Cant stress enough to remove the encapsulating sound shield on the bottom. I didn't remove mine and it ultimately became weakened, separated, and fell off, and its NOT cheap to replace.

I like simple green BEST, as it doesnt smell bad like the other type cleaners and is more environmentally friendly.

Reply to
Glenflow55