96 E320 Starting Problem

I've posted about my problem before, and I still have the same issues about starting, but now I have established a pattern. My car starts fine in the morning, but almost like clockwork, when I go to start it after work, or at lunch, it cranks but no start. May take about 10 tries, then it just seems like it catches and starts up. After that, if I start and stop it, no problem. Starts the next morning, and the process begins again. My shop I go to had a known working fuel pressure regulator that he replace for me, and no difference. I have replaced almost everything that I can think of except the fuel pump itself. I hear it engage when I first turn the key in the morning. One thing I do notice is that when I am cranking the car, if at first I step on the pedal and keep it depressed, it helps out and the car starts.

Reply to
Steve

Sounds like you got fuel injector leak. Pull spark plugs and see which one is really fouled out.

Reply to
Tiger

when I am cranking the car, if at first I step on the pedal and keep it depressed, it helps out and the car starts.

The motor is "flooded" - too much fuel. Leaking fuel injector(s). The reason it starts easily when it's cold is that it needs that extra fuel then but not when it's hot. I owned the same engine and had the same problem - but mine started hot - after a bit of cranking. But the exhaust then stank of unburned fuel. #6 injector was leaking.

When the motor is cold - overnight cold someone needs to remove the spark plugs - one or more will be physically wet with fuel - that's the cylinder whose fuel injector is leaking.

Reply to
-->> T.G. Lambach