99 C280, good buy?

I've found a '99 C280 that I like and am wondering if it looks good to you all. It has 40938 miles on it and CarFax shows no problems. It was a lease vehicle with 2 owners and has never left (ownership-wise) Orange County, CA. The dealer that owned it before (April '04) the current one sold it as Starmark-certified, although the current dealer hasn't mentioned anything about it.

I noticed no glaring problems in the test drive, but it has some cosmetic damages like missing small chips of paint (.5-1 sq.cm., noticeable only standing next to it) on the front of the hood and a front corner of the lid for the center armrest has a chunk missing from the leather. They've had it on the lot for 2.5 weeks now.

Blue Book says $19,160 and Edmunds says $20,478. Their initial offer was $17,900.

Any opinions?

Reply to
cethiesus

Where did you get the $20 grand figure? You added the options?

Reply to
Tiger

Edmunds.com, here's what I put in:

Color - White Mileage - 40938 Leather Seats Outstanding Condition OC Zip Code (Adds $264)

The dealer price is estimated at $20,478, but the private party is $18,175 and trade-in around $16k

Reply to
cethiesus

Never use outstanding condition... the dings you said are not idicative of outstanding condition. Your goal is to get the best price... not give your dealer more money.

Reply to
Tiger

Price might be a little high.

On the Star mark It is gone unless you are buying it from a Mercedes dealership. It on transfers from individual to individual. When traded in to a business it goes away.

Good Luck Brett A. Snell

P.S. I work at a MB dealer

Reply to
BS