Advice on parktronic retrofit

Hi all,

Am looking to get an 00-02 CLK Coupe here in the UK and wanted it with Parktornic. Unfortunately, not many good examples have this factory fitted from new but I spoke to one independent dealer who said that for =A3500 (=A3250 for rear, =A3250 for front), the original Merc parktronic=

kit can be retro-fitted to any Mercedes. He said this is the same parktronic that you would get factory fitted if you bought a new Merc and that they send it directly to Merc themselves to be done by Merc engineers in Merc workshops.

Have read some comments on the newgroups about OEM parktronic being retrofitted by Merc dealers rather than the genuine thing and just wanted to ask what people think? Is the independent dealer on the level when he insists it's a genuine parktronic or is it likely to be just an expensive OEM with a couple of flashy LED's and a buzzer that is little different to the 20 quid systems sold on eBay?

Is it better to go for a CLK with a factory fitted parktronic system from new? Can anyone explain the different types of Merc parktronic available or are they all the same? I recall seeing one that had LED's in the rear mirrors and another with it integrated on the dash.

Many thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Regards,

Vic

Reply to
cbmvic20

Ask for an opinion from, for example,

Mercedes-Benz Park Royal

29 - 33 Victoria Industrial Estate Victoria Road London W3 6UU

Tel 020-8896 1565 E-mail snipped-for-privacy@mercedesretail.co.uk

Any service team manager.

Parts, tel: 020-8896 8750

This is a service-only location, so won't try to sell you a car, used or othwerwise.

They have served me well for some time.

I have Parktronic on my 2001 CLK Cab, where the rear window is even smaller. The salesman recommended it. I can't tell you who fitted it as I ordered it via a German dealer and collected it from the Bremen factory (the nearest to Osnabrück, where it was actually assembled).

Worth every penny!

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Many thanks for the reply, will give them a call. Can you describe your system in a bit more detail please? Does it just beep or is there visual as well?

Regards,

Vic

Reply to
cbmvic20

There are two lights in the dashboard at front (left and right) and one above middle arm rest at rear. They light up in the direction you're going at under about 10 mph (or 5?)

Anyway, the light is like a progress bar, going from yellow to red as you get closer. The beeps turn into an insistent continuous tone when 'too close'. I have checked the remaining distance when the 'too close signal' sounds. There is still a margin, but not much of one.

The front lights indicate which side is approaching an object. Pedestrians passing close by, e.g. at traffic lights, also set the alarm off.

This is a different (newer?) version but the effect is the same:

I couldn't readily find detailed pictures on Google. Just cars came up, so this is the best I could find in a few minutes. Plus my computer seems to have gunged up and is reacting slowly. No doubt time for a restart...

It's a good system and superior to some simple beeping jobs I have come across in other cars.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling