Vauxhall Cavalier 1994 - Central Door Locking

Can anyone help. Locked the doors the other day now they won't open, key doesn't turn in lock. Iv'e climbed in through the hatch back started the car etc but sill can't unlock the doors. Any ideas welcome. Howard

Reply to
Howard

Will the key turn the passenger side lock. There is a deadlock system that will lock the buttons, but you should still be able to open with the key. If the drivers doorlock is jammed you should still be able to open from passenger side.

John

Reply to
John

I dunno about a car of that vintage but many cars don't even have locks on the passenger side nowadays. My 1997 Primera didn't and neither does my 2001 Avensis. :(

Dave

Reply to
Dave

On my 95 CDX you can lock the doors from the nearside or boot, but the offside is a two stage lock with the second cam bringing on the deadlocks and alarm.

They arn't too hard to strip/lube if it's mechanical - did your key get progressively harder to turn over a few days/weeks? If so it's probably wear, but on mine stripping and lubeing the lock barrel worked wonders.

Ian

Reply to
IanDTurner

ITYF that deadlocking is deadlocking. You can't even pull the button up when it's deadlocked. That's the whole point.

Reply to
gazzafield

Pull the fuse for the central locking for a while and see if it comes back to life. A long shot, but it'll cost you nothing.

Reply to
gazzafield

Happened to me. From memory the locking mechanism has a ball bearing that runs along a groove and sits in a recess, on mine it had corroded and seized in the locked position. Trouble is, you need to get the door open to get at it! I was able to unlock it by brute force, turning the key and banging the door from the inside.

To replace, you need to take off the door handle and disconnect the operating rods, I found these an absolute bitch to get back on - ISTR it took over an hour, cursing time included.

Don't bother cleaning up the existing lock mechanism, get a new one; they're not expensive and you don't want to be locked out again.

Reply to
PM

No ball bearings in my Cavalier locks - a set of 5 tumbler gates that move in as the key is inserted. They get worn and dirty, sometimes sticking.

As to new locks bing cheap - I lost one of my keys last year and Vauxhall wanted around =A3250 for a lock set as the key has an immobiliser chip in it (and that's supplied not fitted! )

I'd look for a good second hand set, and make sure you get both keys.

Ian

Reply to
IanDTurner

As to new locks bing cheap - I lost one of my keys last year and Vauxhall wanted around 250 for a lock set as the key has an immobiliser chip in it (and that's supplied not fitted! )

I'd look for a good second hand set, and make sure you get both keys.

Ermm well yes it would be as you are get a new transponder key too (which in the instance of my Avensis cost £160 alone!). A door lock alone will be significanly less as it doesn't have all the electronics of the key that they charge the earth for!

Dave

Reply to
Dave

But Vauxhall only offered a full set

Ian

Reply to
IanDTurner

PRICE OF A NEW KEY FOR my vauxhall astra club is £80, this includes the remote switch, and they can do it without having the other key as they reprogram the key from the car..

Reply to
aussie bongo (*_*)