All Diesel Owners... what if I...

Hey Guys and Gals, I was thinking... if vegetable oil really cleans out the fuel system as when someone converts to WVO.... what if I simply dump 1 gallon of cheap new cooking oil into the tank... nearly full... to use as a diesel fuel system cleaner? Do you think it will work?

Reply to
Tiger

Do diesels need to be cleaned out?

I am curious since I may order a new Sprinter.

How different is biodiesel from straight cooking oil?

Are certain oils better than others?

Canola, corn or soybean?

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

oooooh

No glycerine. Biodiesel has gone through transesterification.

cp

Reply to
cp

Diesel are practically low RPM engine... so gunks will build up in older engine so Italian tuneup is necessary to clean your injectors.

The CDI engines such as in the Sprinter are at super high pressure so they don't have the problem as in older classic diesel injection. CDI burns so lean that the engine is practically clean all the time.

Biodiesel is vegetable oil gone through the process where they remove glycerine for health care products... such as soap, toothpaste, and cosmetics. Not all biodiesel is all vege oil... B20 or B100... 20 means 20% vege oil. With glycerine removed... there is no gelling problem as with WVO... it is the glycerine that makes oil so thick that you need to make sure the oil is hot enough to use... and always start and shutdown with diesel fuel instead.

Oil is pretty much oil... monetary sense apply here... you don't want to burn olive oil... because they cost alot! So is peanut oil.

Reply to
Tiger

No, it won't do much, IMHO.

Biodiesel 20 (20% bio - 80% #2 diesel) doesn't affect fuel systems BUT Biodiesel 100% sure is fuel system EX-LAX!

Why doe you want to remove the old deposits?

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Bring my fuel mileage back up... I am on the low end now. My car is 27 city and 35 Highway. I am getting 26 local (not city).

Reply to
Tiger

Mmm... I wondered where I can get B100 in NJ...

Reply to
Tiger

What model do you have? I have a 97 W210 that is getting around 30 mixed. My low RPM performance has been terrible - I won't be burning any rubber anytime soon! I am going to use Lucas Lubricant to run through the fuel lines and clean out the injectors. I'll let you know if the performance increases.

Reply to
MBDiesel

I know where we can get you some in Seattle if you are up for a drive... A spare filter or two also might be handy at that point.

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Finest virgin cold-pressed olive oil from Limone on Lake Garda, at least twice as pricey as the 'ordinary' stuff than comes from Tuscany...

"Reassuringly expensive," to quote the Inbev Stella Artois (beer) adverts in the UK...

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

I got the 95... same engine. I used to get 30 locally.

Reply to
Tiger

Yeah! Drive across the country for some Biodiesel... one cost to the other. I found one near me... buy in 5 gallon container... $5 a gallon!

Reply to
Tiger

Maybe the restaurant suppliers sell vegetable oil cheaply in bulk.

Plus you might get it in a container that you can store it in as a backup fuel supply.

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

I will order one unless the pricing is too high.

Have you seen the new one?

It is huge , you can get the v6 cdi and they have cargo doors that open and close automatically. You can just walk in , sit down and drive!

Allegedly they will be available in the "fourth quarter" according to Dodge.

I think if all things are equal it is better to use vegetable oil or biodiesel. It is carbon neutral and so should not contribute to global warming. If it is cheaper there is no question.

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer