Any experts here.... Problems with Mercedes A-160 (w168)

I have a 1998 model Mercedes A 160. The km is 187.000. For some days ago the car start "jumping", just like the engine does not get enough fuel. At Mercedes they told me that it probably is the egnitioncoil that is broken. But now I have replaced the egnitioncoil with a new one and I still have the problem.

The funny part is that the engine can work well for many days, and suddenly is starts "jumping" again.

I really feel that there is someting wrong with the fuelsystem. Any ideas?

Best regards Jorgen

Reply to
gillidk

"" wrote: > I have a 1998 model Mercedes A 160. The km is 187.000. For > some days ago the > car start "jumping", just like the engine does not get enough > fuel. At > Mercedes they told me that it probably is the egnitioncoil > that is broken. > But now I have replaced the egnitioncoil with a new one and I > still have the > problem. > > The funny part is that the engine can work well for many days, > and suddenly > is starts "jumping" again. > > I really feel that there is someting wrong with the > fuelsystem. Any ideas? > > Best regards > Jorgen

Gillidk.... Im no expert on your model, but you must first start from scratch on a diagnostic method, to find the source of your problem. Many things can become intermittant in the fuel or ignition system that might contribute to irratic idling or on load service from your engine. Start with a basic tune-up first, or at least change the plugs, clean the contacts under the distributor cap and clean up the rotor. Do a compression test to illiminate the possiblity of valve, ring, or head gasket leakage, test the fuel pressure if you can, and if things dont readily improve, i would try changing the reluctor coil, (magnetic pickup coil) which is located inside the disributor housing. They are not too expensive and they do have a nasty habit of becoming intermittant. Simple things like vacume hoses and harness plugs to device modules, should also be checked, cleaned with contact cleaner sprays and made secure. Spray and reinstall the connectors at least 6 times to remove any oxidation. Dont yank or pull any electrical harnesses too much, if they are dry rotted, you will create shorts. The less you move them the better. Good luck.... Dave...

300TE 4 Matic 181,600
Reply to
dave_rose69

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: >

Lee