front wheel lock up help.

It could be the diff (but you'd expect that to still be complaining), but I've come accross cases of this on Disco's where it was the wheel bearing expiring, and it seems to be not uncommon. First time on a Defender though, why Disco's should do it and not Defender I don't know! The other equally possible thing is that the CV joint has exploded, jack the wheel up and see if turning it tries to drive the propshaft. Thinking about it, I'd vote for the CV joint.........

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

While driving on a motorway at about 60mph in my 1990 turbo diesel 90, it locked up on the drivers side wheel, I got a tow home by the RAC Has anyone else come across this problem and what it might be, the car seems to drive ok now, but have only tried it slow?

Reply to
Mick Stevens

Could be a front wheel bearing seized

Gary

Mick Stevens wrote:

Reply to
Gary Harrison

Hello from Switzerland,

guess what, I had exactly the same situation driving my Defender TD5

99'000 km year 1998 size 110 used on roads only. Using it everyday.

5 days ago, driving at 50 km/h. Suddenly the car stops heavely while I am still pushing the gas.

Front left (driver)wheel completly stuck with noise crackle when trying to move.

The wheel bearing is said to have busted. I think I could have killed myself if driving at 120 km/h.

Can I trust this car, now that it is repaired? A Mercedes G or a Land Cruiser would never do such a thing under 200'000km...

Thank you for sharing your ideas. Mick

Reply to
Mick Rose

Mick,

It's all down to maintainance. Land Rover are famous for not putting enough grease in there. If you have a tame LR dealer or independant, get them to RE-GREASE the lot :) Don't understand how you can the others would not have failed earlier....it's down to the same thing and driving conditions!

Neil Founder

Neil Brownlee

On or around Mon, 27 Oct 2003 23:36:35 +0000 (UTC), "Mick Stevens" enlightened us thusly:

It's broken...

seriously though... something awry in the hub/driveshaft for that side. you'll have to pull it apart to find out what. If it was only the one wheel, that tends to imply the front diff's OK.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

had exactly the same problem in my series, whilst trialsing the steering lost lock to one side, after about an hour i managed to correct the situation somehow, towed my van home- no problem, drove 200 miles during the next two weeks- no problems, went on to next trial and then the front drivers side wheel locked up solid, wouldnt budge, stripped it down in the field and what it all turned out to be was a siezed/worn and ultimately totaly disintegrated spider joint on the front drivers side half shaft, pulled it out along with more shrapnell than in the british legion museum, bobbed it together and towed the van 80 miles back home.

so id look at you cv`s first.

Andy

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Andy

Had the exact same thing on my 110 10 years ago, front offside inner wheel bearing expired! Happened at roughly 80,000 miles, vehicle now has approx.

130,000 on the clock with no further reoccurrences after a thorough clean and re-greasing of the wheel bearings. P.S. the remains of the inner race were a total pain to remove from the stub axle!!!!! Badger.
Reply to
Badger