Problems with 306HDI

Hi

I've got a V reg 306HDI. It's done about 90,000 miles now and bearing up well but...

Recently I've noticed 2 main things and wondered if anyone would have an idea of what is wrong and how much it should cost to repair (being female I'm sure I'm more likely to get ripped off).

The first thing is a really strong smell of diesel inside the car. Doesn't happen all the time but becoming more frequent.

Second thing is, when I push the accelerator to speed up, when it hits a certain point on the rev counter it's like it can't find the gear and for a second and there's a delay in the injection kicking in. It's only started doing this recently.

Any help would be great!

Thanks

Elise

Reply to
Elise306

Hullo,

Female you say. Hellllllo :-)

Does this happen at random, or is it just after starting the car?

I'm a bit unclear about this. Does the car have an automatic gearbox?

Both problems taken together _might_ suggest a problem with the diesel injection pump, or possibly one or more injectors. Has the fuel economy got noticeably worse?

Good luck!

Reply to
Albert T Cone

I think it needs a good clean. add a diesel cleaner into the tank, that helps a lot, i do my car every 3rd month and give it a run down the M25 you wont belive the shit that come out of the exhaust.have your oil looked at in the auto box it could be low or due to be replaced, good luck from chris Addlestone Surrey.

Reply to
Chris

Sorry the first thing is to open the bonnet and have a look to see if you have got a leak any place .start the engine up and get somebody to look or you look while reving the engine, not too hard . good luck from chris Addlestone Surrey,

Reply to
Chris

Hi

I have a 2000 306 HDi and had exactly the same problem.

Mine had a slightly loose diesel injector. Where the common rail fuel line goes into the cyclinder head, one of the connectors tightened a quarter turn.

This solved the diesel smell and returned the perfomance back to what it should have been.

It was identifiable by looking under the bonnet and removing the plastic cover.

Looking at the top of the engine, one of the four brass coloured nuts (with pipe coming out of it) was shiny as opposed to the other three that had road dust and muck on them..

Have a look

Hope this helps.

Don

Reply to
Don

It's not the clutch slipping is it ?

ie, are the revs rising, without your speed rising to match ?

Reply to
Nom

Hi

Smell of diesel is totally random.

Not an automatic gearbox. It's when it hits 20 on rev counter no matter what gear I'm in and I'm just pushing on the accelerator there's just a delay of it actually kicking in and moving.

Thanks for your reply!

Reply to
Elise306

thanks chris!

Reply to
Elise306

yeah revs are rising but speed kicks in after a short delay. don't think it's the clutch, feels more like the injection isn't kicking in.

Reply to
Elise306

yeah revs are rising but speed kicks in after a short delay. don't think it's the clutch, feels more like the injection isn't kicking in.

Reply to
Elise306

Then your clutch is slipping.

When you're in gear, the clutch directly links the engine to the road. If one is accelerating, and the other one isn't, then something is slipping ! You're either doing a huge skid, or your clutch is shagged.

When ingear, your revs and speed are directly linked by the clutch. If you can make the revs rise without the speed doing the same, then it can only be the clutch :)

You mean the turbo ? If the engine stopped working, then you would stall :)

Reply to
Nom

Hi,

LOL ! But I have to say, the turbo's lag is pretty impressive on the HDi90... On my parents' 206 you hear the engine "roaring", then you feel the boost. Needs to be used to that if you want to fully use the engine :-)

Regards, G.T

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T