Any opinions on a 124 CE cab

I consider to trade my 300e and 280SL to a 124 CE cab as my children are getting to old to the back seat of the SL. And yes, there are not much room but they only complain if I tell them that I'm selling the SL

-- Hilsen Michael Buus Sørensen

Reply to
Michael Buus Sørensen

"Michael Buus Sørensen" hat in Betrag news:3f841f52$0$7946 $ snipped-for-privacy@nntp04.dk.telia.net dies gedichtet:

I would try to avoid the 300E 24V engine, as it has a bad reputation of developing mechanical trouble. I would try to get a late E320 instead. As you seem to come from Denmark, it might be of interest for you that german company Wiessmann

makes a fine hardtop for the W124 convertible. I would seriously consider that for protecting the convertible top during winter. Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper

If you have the cash look at a CLK Cab instead. Better roof mechanism and more room inside (believe it or not). And, IMO, it looks much better.

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

I would - but I live in Denmark and the +60.000$ for a used CE is more than enough :-(

-- Hilsen Michael Buus Sørensen "Dori Schmetterling" skrev i en meddelelse news:3f853d4b$0$252$ snipped-for-privacy@news.dial.pipex.com...

Reply to
Michael Buus Sørensen
60.000 Dollars - US???

Wow!

Well, come to France. There's (was, last week) a 1994 320CE Cabriolet Sportline, 5 speed manual with 155K kilometers for sale at local Mercedes main dealer. Body is wonderful and I'd buy it for the asking price if my old

300CE 24V Sportline wasn't working so well (255K Km) and I had the 15K5 Euro. Yes, 15,500 Euro with garage warranty (sadly, not MB warranty) for 12 months.

Please don't pay 60K $US - look around German/Swiss MB dealers.

My 2 cents (Euro cents) worth.

RayH

Reply to
JackH

dosen't matter if I find one in Germany. The taxman roughly tell me to pay 2 times the price I pay in Germany. So I buy at 20k and pay the taxman 40k. The chiepest car in Denmark (maybe Suzuki Wagon) cost about 17 or 18.000 $.

Only exeption is if the car is more than 35 years old...

Great land to purchase car in.

-- Hilsen Michael Buus Sørensen "JackH" skrev i en meddelelse news:bm45cp$3uk$ snipped-for-privacy@news.tiscali.fr...

Reply to
Michael Buus Sørensen

Well, as we say in France, "Jesus Harry Christ".

I thought Denmark was in the EU. Doesn't that mean that goods cross borders without levy. OK, I know, tobacco/alcohol into UK breaks the rules, but second-hand cars???

I'm planning to get the best 300/320 CE/Cab (whatever) I can find and bring it here to France. Am I in for a shock??

Sorry to hear how difficult it is for you.

The very best of luck.

RayH

What about if you pay "1500 Euro" for it??? Tax = 3000, total = 4500. The rest is paid in cash. Oh well, just a thought.

Reply to
JackH

your algebra is correct.

Anyway - we have some exceptions here. You can't buy a house here, I can buy a house in France!!! The thing about tob/alc. The same rule applies here as in England althoug they are to be changed by 1/1 2004. About EU - I don't think you could bring the car to Finland or Greese either as they have rater high taxes on cars also.

-- Hilsen Michael Buus Sørensen "JackH" skrev i en meddelelse news:bm4acs$ep7$ snipped-for-privacy@news.tiscali.fr...

Reply to
Michael Buus Sørensen

I am not sure about that comment about bringing alcohol and tobacco into the UK. As regards alcohol, you can bring into the UK as much as you like for personal consumption if VAT/other taxes in an EU country have been paid. If you are checked carrying above a certain amount you may have to prove it's not for commercial use. It used to be 90 litres of wine per head but I think is higher now after it came out that UK customs officials were harassing travellers.

Have no idea about tobacco but would have thought it's same in principle.

As regards the vexed question of cars, I looked into it for the UK. You have to have owned and driven the car for six months (min mileage applies, IIRCC) outside Britain before being able to bring it in without paying VAT, but that is, I believe, an EU-wide rule. The problem in Denmark (plus Greece etc) is that cars attract additional taxes, which is no longer the case in the UK.

I suppose at some point the EC may force a relaxation of the rules for moving cars around. BTW, I believe aeroplanes are also currently exempted from the rules about the free movement of goods. Maybe a Learjet costs three times as much in Denmark as everywhere else???

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling