W107 seats - steering wheel mods?

OK - here's the problem

My wife 'needs' a SL420 model W107 (UK car) & has found one she wants to buy,

Problem - I'm just too big to drive the car comfortably - 6'4" with long legs ....

Now I reckon that if I could find an aftermarket smaller steering wheel that would help but I can't seem to find a supplier. Momo used to do a boss for their wheels but its now discontinued.

I am also wondering if anyone has done or knows of any seat modifications that could be made to just get the seat back a bit further or a bit lower.

Any help appreciated as this is one real nice car.

Eric UK

Reply to
Eric Ronson

SL in front is post 1994 model. I thought the 107 series stopped production in 1989. No?

Reply to
sdp1s

Hi

Its a '89 SL420 - 107 model

I *think* the 420 SL was only ava. in Europe.

Its a a V8 - I presume a scaled down version on the SL 500 engine.

Eric

SL in front is post 1994 model. I thought the 107 series stopped production in 1989. No?

Reply to
Eric Ronson

AH, that is what threw me off. '89 would be a 420SL, the class designation being in front of the engine displacement started in the

94 model year. That is why SL420 had me at a loss.

Reply to
sdp1s

I have a 83 SL and I'm 180 cm, a little higher would be a problem, especially with the hard top on. I don't think a smaller steeringweel helps that much as I have one. The seat can't get any lower!!

Anyway - have a windbreaker for the car. You can drive top down below zero and lit a cigarette going 140 km/h. Without the windbreaker -forget driving top down below 25 and litting a cigarette over 60 km/h

Hilsen Michael Buus Sørensen "sdp1s" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@netnews.comcast.net...

modifications

Reply to
Michael Buus Sørensen

We took the plunge and bought it, Its not as bad as I thought it would be - with the seat right back and as low as it will go I'm fine to drive even with the top on.

If I can get a wheel an inch or two in diameter smaller that the standard one it will be no problem to drive - its OK but a bit cramped around my legs.

But loving it - if feels like a 'proper' old car - my E320 cdi feels just tooo sanitised sometimes,

Eric