Jetta TDI, opinions?

Hi folks,

I am thinking of buying a Jetta TDI (probably new) and would like to hear opinions about this car... I am especially interested in reliability and maintenance costs... I heard some horror stories about VW electrical problems... Also, is it as fuel efficient as Golf TDI?

Thanks, /MM

Reply to
MM

What horror stories were those? Window regulators, MAF's and Coil packs (not a TDI problem) are the only ones I know of, and a 2004 wouldn't be affected.

I have a 99.5 Golf TDI approaching 95K Kms on it, no problems (aside from those known defects, which were fixed under warranty) replaced front brakes at 90K Kms - the original brake pads had some life in them, but 4 years as a company car seemed to have caused the rotors to warp.

I used to drive 2 Jetta's (and one Golf, plus my current car) as company cars (I bought my Golf out of the car-pool that the Jetta's/Golf's were in) and they only had the same problems mins did (MAF and windows).... And they were the ones that took a LOT of abuse.... I think around 5-10 people learned to drive stick shift on those... not one blown clutch.

One of the Jetta's kept blowing its front turn signal bulb, but that car was in an accident at one point, so maybe the wiring was damaged.

The Jetta's are as good on fuel as the Golfs, maybe better.

The same company keeps buying more VW's so I am assumuming they are as happy with them as I am with my car.

Maintenance costs:

About 250-300 dollars a year for oil changes (3 a year - once every

10000kms) - synthetic fluid can last 16000

Fuel costs - approximately $110 per month (at 69 cents per litre diesel, 40 litres per week)

The bigger 30K services seem to add another 100 bucks to the oil change - fluid top up and filter changes (fuel, and oil)

Airfilters aren't too expensive 40 bucks I think

Transmission oil on an automatic TDI (synthetic) is something like 300 bucks to do the whole job with labour/tax.... but that's every 100K Kms.

Front brakes I was quoted 550 bucks at the dealer - did them myself for 300

Timing belt is every 60K Kms on an auto tranny (I think its over 100K Kms on the 5 spd manual) this on is expensive, as they do the water pump as well.... 400-500 bucks I think.

Equivilant tires to what came with the car are around 550-600 bucks, replace as needed.... 2-4 years or however long they last.

I figure around $1500 a year on maintenance, but my car is 5 years old (so I need to figure in brakes and tires, and miscellaneous repairs)

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Thanks Rob. Please see comments/questions below:

How many kilometers are you getting out of 40 litres of fuel?

Is it just the pads or the rotors as well?

Every 60K?!!! This seems unlikely... Maybe 60K miles? That would be very frusrating. Most of the modern cars I know don't require timing belt changed so frequently.

/MM

Reply to
MM

I have the automatic, so fuel consumption in town is noticibly more then the

5 speed manual version (my friend has a 2003 5 spd and he gets a ~150+ km per tank more range in the city). I average 6.3L per 100kms travelled... 600-700k a week I think - I tank up every friday regardless of the tanks status, its usually near 1/4 full. I don't accelerate all that lightly either... so I could get better, but I don't - i'm the one with the A/C on full blast in the summer, the seat heaters sucking power in the winter... I'm not the most fuel efficient person around... My dad borrowed my car for a long highway trip, and it got 5.2L per 100Kms (he also managed to get 8.7L per 100kms in his big 6 cylinder Volvo... I get around 10L in that car on the highway), no A/C on , no heaters on, windows closed, cruise control at 110kph on good highways. I got 5.9L per 100kms on a highway trip... But again, lead foot strikes again... But it's good, you can drive it as hard as you like and it will still get something like under 7L per 100kms.

Brakes were front pads and rotors and install for $550 bucks (with tax) - all funds in Canadian Dollars

and $316 for Zimmermann cross drilled rotors and PBR brake pads, installation was free.

On the automatic the specs call for timing belt changed every 60000kms.... 2 years of driving for me. I think it's 160K Kms on the standard...

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I have a NB and I can only say that it has had only one minor problem since new 30,000 miles ago and that was not electrical.

I get about 48 mpg city 62 on the road.

Maintenance has not been a problem at all. I do it myself.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Depends on which belt and tensioner. For the a4-platform TDI engine cars sold in the US, the intervals are:

old type belt and tensioner, manual transmission: 60,000 miles old type belt and tensioner, automatic transmission: 40,000 miles new type belt and tensioner: 80,000 miles

The old type was installed in new cars until the middle of the 2001 model year.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

I have a 2001 Jetta TDI with 110k on it. Windows have fell into doors ( happens to all of them) Right tail light continually goes out. Mass air flow sensor went bad, they wont cover it. Rear brakes needed replacement at about 40k (highly unusual) The $900 timing belt replacement went horribly wrong. Had to take it back 3 times. !st time the car would barely move. They must have not test drove it (typical VW service) It was never timed right, I did. Brake switch that controls ABS went bad so the brakes would barely work at all. They finally (2 years after ours went bad) recalled it. The only thing going for the car is the mileage. They rate it at 50mpg on the Highway and we get about 45 to 50 at the best, going downhill. 700 miles on a tank on a trip is the best you will do. The Golf does better, it's smaller and lighter. The TDI is the only reason I'll put up with VW crap. Buy one now before the new diesel laws apply.

Reply to
jj

I purchased my 2001 Jetta TDI new in January of 2001. I've presently got just over 130,000km on it (my commute is 140km round-trip). Because of my working conditions, unscheduled maintenance has a very high cost associated with it. During my association with this car, I've had two unscheduled service visits, both resulting from the "Check Engine" light appearing (I've _never_ been left stranded). These were a month apart at around 110,000km, and were both related to the glow-plug system. Over the course of the two visits, the harness and all the glow plugs were replaced.

I haven't had the power window regulators or the MAF sensor fail (he says inviting the gods to defecate on his parade...). While the brake wear, especially in the rear, has been higher than I expected, the overall fuel mileage and general ownership experience has been quite positive. I routinely get around 1000km between fill-ups (compare to the various hybrids), and this alone is worth the price of admission given that I leave for work at 6:15am!

Reply to
Thomas Koschate

Warranty has been extended to 7 years, you must not have gotten the letter, get a hold of VW for a refund.

Depends how and where you're driving, 40k miles in city driving sounds pretty decent, I hear of people getting brakes done at 25k and then the replacements lasted even less time. I've seen several articles that the new brakes just don't last like they used to.

best, going downhill.

Rated MPG estimates are always under ideal condition; you seem to be saying that, under your driving conditions, you get the mileage that it's supposed to get. BTW, we always average 50-55mpg on long trips on the highway when we typically average 65mph. We do live in Florida where it's flat and I use the cruise control as much as possible. Kind of funny hearing someone complain about 45-50mpg at best.

As for our Jetta; we have a little over 45k mixed miles on our '01 TDI Jetta, other than the scheduled maintenance, the total problems repairs:

- Window fell down, fixed them all under warranty

- Brake light switch stopped working, after warranty period, dealer fixed it for free anyway.

- Brake job at 42k

- Latch on center console storage box broke, bought part and fixed it.

Complaints:

- @#!$%# popout cupholder, don't know how many times I've hit them when shifting.

- Front skirt/air dam/whatever you call it, it is so low, I have twice caught it on a parking lot bumper and then partially dislodge it when backing up. I was able to loosen screws and fix both times, but you really have to watch where you park.

- I seem to have a lot of wear marks in the "orange peel" finish on the interior console plastic areas. There is some type of matte finish on top of the black plastic that is peeling off in places.

Reply to
Jaime

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I just filled up my 2003 Jetta GLS TDI this morning. Gas was $1.88 while diesel was $1.55 and I got 46 MPG! I love my car.

Reply to
Numan

What part of "they wont cover it" did you not understand. The car has

110k on it. The warranty was only extended to 70k. This is the #1 complaint about VW's, it should be a recall.

All highway driving. Typically, front brakes wear first. This was another major complaing about Jettas. I have 60k on my GTI, orginial brakes.

The post I was responding to the persond claimed 65mpg.

This shouldn't happen in a new car, especailly since it's been a problem for a few years now.

That's because the brake switch has been RECALLED! I guess you didn't get the letter and typically the dealer didn't let you know so you just think they did you a favor.

- Brake job at 42k -

Latch on center console

Yet another cheap POS part.

Still wondering how you are hitting it, the cupholder is not that close to the shifter. I love those cupholders.

The key phrase is "watch where you park" We've never had a problem with that.

Don't have a clue about what you are talking about there. I'd have VW fix that unless you are using some really harsh cleaner.

Reply to
jj

Last year Massachusetts along with 6 other states banned future sales of diesels until 2007 when the low sulphur fuels are supposed to come online. Owning four gas guzzlers and always wanting a diesel, I ordered a 2003 Jetta TDI wagon. It was delivered in May, 2003. We (just my wife and I) have a BMW

735, a Chevy Tahoe, a MB 420 and a Saab convertible. I love the Jetta TDI. It does not handle the road as well as the 735, but it is damn close. It has more cup holders than the lot, but I had to have the over the radio cup holders installed after market. The new ones are terrific. The wagon will hold my tennis and golf gear with ease. I am getting 46 to 50 MPH in the warmer months, but the winterized fuel drops to about 40 MPH. I could do better by driving slower and increasing the tire pressure, but I am not. I used to think that I had to be alert to the BMW racing up to speeds in excess of those posted (or that the traffic is driving), but the Jetta seems to go there with too little ease. Case in point: I was coming out Route 2 from Boston Thursday night doing 82 MPH and I was not passing anyone. The Jetta had no problem getting to or staying with that speed. Is it fun to drive? Absolutely. Is it economical? You bet. Would I trade it in? No way. It is just a damn good car. Having said that, I also have to say that I consider it really a two seater. The rear room is very tight. Children yes, but grown-ups, no. Had the Passat diesel been available, I would have bought that instead.

As an added note, I decided to try a tank of B20, twenty percent bio-diesel. It was 50 cents more per gallon and my mileage dropped by about 7 to 8 mpg. The other problem was that that station selling it was really inconvenient to get to. I will stick to 100% fossil until the distribution system improves.

Reply to
Tom R.

The manual with my 2003 Jetta Wagon shows 105,000 miles for the timing belt w/manual transmission. I don't know if I'll run mine that far, but that's what they're saying in the book now.

-ekk

Reply to
ekk

Calm down, I was only pointing out there was an extended warrenty that maybe you didn't hear about. After all you're the one who said "... brake switch has been RECALLED! I guess you didn't get the letter and typically the dealer didn't let you know..."

BTW, I did get the letter about the switch recall, by my brake switch went bad well before that letter came out.

I've read several reviews of the Jetta where the reviewer mentions the the position of the cupholder when shifting. The other thing about the cupholders I forgot is the fact that when opened, they not only completely block the controls for the stereo, but many times putting a drink in the right side holder, pushes a button on the stereo and changes it from "CD" to "FM".

I'm talking about normal store parking lot bumper.

Reply to
Jaime

Sounds like New Joisey....

Reply to