Battery And little wire

I have a 1980 240d.

I do not drive very much and this is a just "get around town " car.

The problem is that the battery connection has an excessive amount of corrosion on the terminal. And stops the car for a jump every 6 months or so. There is a little wire that comes out of the lead connection to the battery. Probably a 12v connector wire. The only thing that runs when the car is off is the clock. Which I don't care about.

If I cut this wire will the corrosion end? Or got and good anti-corrosion stuff I can put on the terminal. The red and green rings of velt do nothing.

Thanks in advance, Bob

Reply to
Bousch

Don't cut the little wire. I'm only guessing, but I bet it is the voltage sensing wire for the charging circuit. As regards the corrosion, what form does it take? If it is "fluffy blue crystals", then it is very likely that the battery is cracked around the terminal, and what you are seeing is copper sulphate. You could try cleaning it very carefully and then using a proprietary sealant, or you could just get a new battery. Good luck DD

Reply to
Stratman

i would just pour a coke or pepsi on the terminals once a month been careful not to get it in the battery.

it will also keep the tray from rusting flush with water when done.

the case, minus a few cans!

Reply to
IF YOU CAN'T SWIM DON'T JUMP I

The Coke has acid and will work I guess, but Pepsi probably will not do anything as it is a much more human-friendly drink without acids. You could just clean the terminals very thoroughly and then put some vasoline on them. But that really does not happen on most cars I have driven. So perhaps the battery is leaking.

mcbrue pepsily under the bridge in the trailer down by the river

96 S420
Reply to
MCBRUE

Pepsi and coke are quite good liquids to loosen stuck nuts and bolts. Spray insect killers also...

Helar

Reply to
Helar Laasik

What ever happened to using baking soda? That is if the cause is from actual battery acid.

Reply to
James Collins

Just grease the terminals

Reply to