Fur around battery terminal

I have observed white- green crystalline fur around the positive terminal of the battery in my car. Does anyone know what it is, and how it gets there?

thanks

dan

Reply to
Dan Smithers

It is a Sulphate caused by the reaction between the metal of the connector and the fumes from the battery acid. It is usually a sign that the battery is not as healthy as it was.

The crystals will corrode steel, so you need to make sure that they don't crumble off into the battery tray. They will eventually eat away the battery connector if you ignore them.

It is best cleaned off with household ammonia followed by a good rinse with clean water. Then grease everything with Vaseline and reassemble.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

It's left by the battery pixies when you're not looking.

Reply to
Pete M

I have already splashed out on new batteries and acid. It didn't hold any charge anyway.

Reply to
Dan Smithers

That is why you had the crystals forming. It is still worth a check than none got into the battery tray.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren