Battery change in 2008 ML350

I need to replace the OEM battery in the ML350. I don't want to loose the settings when I disconnect the battery so I was thinking that I would connect another battery to the engine compartment jumper connections before disconnecting the battery under the passenger seat. I can't see any downside. Is there any cautions I should take? Thanks for your help.
Reply to
jb
I did the same on my SL and it worked fine but I found a gadget that has a 9 volt battery and does the same when you connect it on the cigaret lighter
Reply to
john