2003 Eclipse turn signals

Hi,

A while back (April I believe) I had someone try to install a security alarm system on my '03 Eclipse. He ended up not being able to do it, and instead he had done something to the electrical system of the car. Now, when I start the car, most of the time, I have to turn it off, pull the key out of the cylinder, and turn it again to the on position. Then, I move the lever which controls the signals up and down until I can visibly see the green arrows blinking on the dash, (one for both directions). Most of the time, I have to go through this procedure about four or five times before they will both be operational. Sometimes, only one direction arrow will blink, regardless which position the lever is in, (left or right), and sometimes neither one of them, making me repeat the procedure all over again.

Once they work, they stay working until I shut the car off, and then I have to perform this ritual again once I get back into it. Also, to add salt to this wound, I noticed one rainy night, that for some reason, the wipers must be on the same circuit or something, While fooling with the blinkers, I tried to use the wipers, and they wouldn't work until the blinkers did. On top of that, in the rear of the car, next to the white reverse lights, there is a red light, which for some reason doesn't work also. I am not sure, but I think that is somehow tied into the whole mishap! Also, isn't there supposed to be a three second delay in the head lights turning off by themselves after you take the key out of the ignition? Mine turn off as soon as the engine shuts off.

Can anyone give me some advice on this? The man that did this, is a certified mechanic, and I am sure that he knows what he is doing, BUT, he is very hard to get a hold of. Maybe he's ignoring my calls, or he really doesn't know what is wrong, but I am really tired of fighting with my car. I've been trying to get with him to fix it, but he never returns calls, or is too busy to mess with it. I'm thinking about taking it to the dealer, and have them fix it, and give him the bill. Any thoughts on that? I never paid to have to alarm installed, since he couldn't do, he never asked for payment, which is really cool and all, but I feel that if he screwed my car up, he needs to fix it, and give it back to me the way it was.

All comments welcomed, and needed. Thanks

Tony

Reply to
Anthony

Man, does it sound like you have problems. I just bought a 2003 Eclipse, and insisted on the shop manual, or no sale.

Here's what I've learned so far. There are at least 9 ECU's in this vehicle (depending on options). When you turn on your headlights for example, the switch tells the ECU at the base of the steering column, to tell the ECU in the Engine compartment, to operate the relay to turn on your lights. Same apply's for all the rest of the lights, including the lights at the back of your car. The door lock switch tells the ECU to lock /unlock the door, no direct connection, between the switch and the locking mechanism. Everything in this car goes through one of the ECU's. The probable reason you can't get hold of your mechanic, is that he probably doesn't known the electronics in your car. Mitsubishi uses something call SWS (simplified wiring system) to have all the ECU's communicate with each other over a two wire data bus.

The service manual is over 3000 pages long. The SWS section is about 600 pages alone. Unless you know about computers and car mechanics, you should leave the servicing to Mitsu.

My guess is that you will have to get the ECU reprogrammed. But FIRST, check to make sure all the connectors on all the modules are firmly seated, especially the modules closest the steering column. The main ECU is located behind the center console directly under the radio, almost on the floor.

And be VERY aware of the airbag, it could kill you if it goes off and your not in the correct position.

Good Luck

Ray

Reply to
Nirodac

Oh and another thing you might want to try, after checking all the connections. Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery, and go have a coffee (decaf OK) when you return, reattach the battery cable. This exercise should reset the ECU to the factory settings. The vehicle should relearn your driving habits in a few days to a week. If you still have problems, visit your Mitsubishi dealer, right after you fill your hatch with lots of money. I guess if your dishonest, you could lie about the reason for the problems, but if they find any cut or damaged wire under the dash, your really up shit creek.

Ray

compartment,

Reply to
Nirodac