GC won't start, what do I do now?

Okay, my 01 GC wouldn't start yesterday. I put a battery charger on it, but the battery wouldn't take much of a charge. I jump started it, and drove it about 10 miles. On the return it started fine. Tried it 4 hours later and it wouldn't start. Again, the battery wouldn't take much of a charge.

I bought a new battery. It was dead (or so I thought). I charged it overnight, but it still wouldn't start. I took it back as defective.

Bought a different battery and a new charger/starter. It wouldn't start on the new battery. I put the new charger on the new battery; the charger said the new battery was 85% charged, and quickly brought it to full charge. Car still wouldn't start. It wouldn't even start when I set the battery charger to start.

It makes a small thunk sound, but then nothing happens.

So, what is my problem? (Starter solenoid, right? Dont' know what it is, but have heard that it is the starter solenoid if it isn't the battery.) How do I get it fixed if I can't get my car started to get it to a repair shop?

Presumably the old battery wouldn't take much of a charge because it was fully charged. Oh well.

Should I try jump starting it again with my other car? Worked yesterday, but I hate jump starting cars; always picture the battery blowing up or something.

Reply to
Suanne Lippman

GET A TOW TRUCK AND TOW IT TO A SHOP ??????????????

Reply to
JED

Sounds like the starter. I bet if you try it enough times it you will be lucky enough to get it to start; a tow probably won't be necessary. That is why it started when you jumpstarted it; it had nothing to do with the jumpstart, it just happened to work that time.

Figure $300 to replace it. On top of what you wasted on the new battery.

Reply to
Tim

"Tim" wrote

If you have cleaned the terminals, probably the starter. You may get lucky and get it to start one more time, by having someone trying to turn the key, and at the same time, having someone hitting the starter briskly with a hammer. Sounds strange, but stranger things have happened.

Reply to
Morgans