Black S Class with tinted windows

Apropos of nothing in particular I can report that there are very few Ladas on the streets of central Moscow. Quite a few Volgas though.

The largish number of black S Class Mercs, some with tinted windows, suggests quite a few oligarchs, their girlfriends and hangers-on driving around, especially in the evening.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

You seem to get around a great deal!

What with British investigators in Russia because of the Litvinenko episode, I wonder if "medical equipment sales" is not a convienient cover for your genuine occupation......

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

There's more. I missed a contaminated aeroplane on the outward journey by a few hours, i.e. BA flights earlier in the day (B 767s) were implicated but not mine, the last one out (an A320).

On the return (Nov 26) no flights were contaminated, according to the British Airways website, but I did travel on a B 767...

My hotel, a Stalinist masterpiece

is located on a road that used to favoured by the Soviet press corps and my friend there works in a bank for an oligarch...(and he is an American I know from London, where the top management of his previous employer was implicated in fraud, though that was way after he left)... and we ate in (stumbled into) a restaurant that is so expensive that mostly 'New Russians' (Rich Russians) only can afford. (But the food was good.)

And, as my project of the week, I learned to (slowly!) read Russian (block letters)...

A chap I met at the exhibition I went to is a Serb resident in Moscow who is a partner in a newly-established company based in Serbia but trading in Russia, minimising taxes at both ends...

Oh, and I didn't tell you about my trip to Sarajevo last spring...what was funny was being told -- by my hotel barman -- that UN troops (or was it NATO?) were being given medals for simply serving there for six months... and that this barman was a bit put out by the fact that he kept winning or doing very well in regional cocktail-mixing championships but that nobody wanted to drink cocktails... That's another non-sequitur but, hey, it's Monday...

Do svidania DAS Shmersh agent, Mosow

Dori A Schmetterling

Dori, I've always wonderd. Does 'Do Svidanya' mean 'good bye' or 'auf wiedersehn' .... if you get my drift

cheers, guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

Guenter, I can now answer this question.

It means the latter.

"Do" in Slavic languages seems to mean the German "bis" (or "auf") or French "a" (as in "a bientot" without accents...).

IIRC "good-bye" is colloquially "paka", pronounced 'poka'.

I did get a bit of time to scratch the surface of some of the subtle variations across the linguistic region. For example, miasto/mesto etc means "town" in, e.g., Czech and I think even Polish, so Old Town is Stare Miasto (or variants).

However, in Russian "town" is "gorod" and "myesto" means the related "place"... I had not been to Russia before, just getting to look at its border in 1981 (from Norway).

Well, anyway, this sort of thing interests me. When I am not gazing at three-pointed stars, of course.

DAS Russian Expert, London

PS. Living not far from Moscow Rd and St Petersburgh Place (sic).. I kid you not...

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling