Blue and clear Vacuum tube??!! PLEASE HELP!!

I sent this to an expert but am open to all tips and solutions from all.

"I really need your help!

Since you replaced all your lines Im hoping you can tell me where the blue and clear vaccum tube is to be connected.

My mechanic broke two tubes, the red and clear (which I am hoping I can reconnect to the throttle body just behind the distributor with very long needle nose pliers) and the blue and clear tube that I have no idea where it goes.

the blue and clear tube is connected to some sort of valve in the front driver side of the engine compartment, meets and is then twist tied to the red and clear tube,

About a foot of the blue and clear tube broke off and the rubber connector came with it. It now rests near the distributor under the air cleaner.

I have spent much time looking for a nipple and scanning diagrams to no avail.

The car is due for smog and I can't afford the mechanic at mercedes. I don't know if this will affect smog but I do know the car idles poorly since these have been broken. (mechanic connected both broken lines together and it was like riding a cement mixer!)

ANY tips you could offer would be much appreciated. The red and clear tube looks like you should really remove the distributor to get at and I need to avoid that by all means.

I would be happy to send you photos if that would help, My car is a

1977 SLC but i believe this should be the same configuration as yours.

Please respond. I havn't had much luck here.

Robert"

Dr. Chip Abbadessa wrote:

Check all vacuum lines as they have a tendency to get brittle and crack over > time. I own a 77 450 sl and replaced all vacuum lines, hoses and gaskets > after having similar problems. >
Reply to
rreider2

"the car idles poorly since these have been broken"

Surprise surprise.

One or the other probably connects to the intake manifold - its leak is making the motor idle poorly - it will never pass the smog test this way

- excessive HC due to too lean a mixture and misfiring on that account. Carefully look at the intake manifold and throttle area for a connection point.

Suggest you investigate ignition distributor's vacuum connections.

That your "mechanic" screws it up and says "here," YOU figure it out is unconscionable. I'd report him to your state's licensing board.

Reply to
Take A Guess

THANKS!! Your tip made it seem obvious. I CAREFULLY re-checked the service manual and found what should have been a Y connector had been broken in two and half of it reinstalled holding the remaining hose.

All that time looking for an empty connection, It never would have dawned on me that one of the connections was to be shared.

Now timing and off to smog.

Thanks to you I have faith!

Robert

Take A Guess wrote: