Re: Ford Canada and the blend door problem

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 00:40:56 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@suckeggs.ca wrote:

What nonsense. WHether they have "complaints" or not, they obviously can easily track the number of duct and blend door parts they sell and it would be obvious that they sell a lot more of them then could possibly be normal for that kind of part - on most vehicles it would last the life of the vehicle. you can be sure that their internal Quality folks know full well that it's a major problem and that management has made a decision to pretend it isn't to avoid some fairly expensive repairs. I just read in the newspaper that the average warranty cost for ford is $700 per vehicle. If they had to repair a bunch of those doors, say 30% of them wind up having to be replaced, that would represent a huge increase in their per vehicle warranty costs on that line.
and that he had already been

I have the same problem with my 96 Explorer sport. To replace the part with a new one was going to cost over $600 just for the parts, not including any labour.
I went to a local shop that I trust, and they found me a used part for $100. I am not sure if this is going to cause me a whole lot of headache in the future as it's used and I guess at a higher chance of breaking in the future.
I guess being in Oakville, (and so close to the Ford plant and office) I might just pay them a visit in person to express my disgust over the shoddy design.
wrote:

1997
displeasure
on
matter
and that

it
states
taken to

issue.
have had

search
of
people
there was

would
indeed a

had
no
had
About the only way ford would have had to do a recall is if the blend door went to the max cold setting after the part broke. Most posts I see here describe a problem of no cooling. If there was no heating after the part broke, then you would have a saftey issue since your defroster would not clear the windows. This is one reason if most, if not all heater/ac systems are designed so if they loose vacuum, the systems go to a full heat in defrost mode, or at least they did back in the '70s which is when I got out of the dealership mechanic business. wth

1997
displeasure
on
matter
and that

states
taken to

have had

already been

search
people
there was

would
indeed a

had
no
had

But this can and does go cold at times. This is an electronic actuator that supposedly controls the blend door. The top of the door (plastic) breaks out and flops around at will since the actuator no longer engages it properly. I had it go cold last winter and told Ford exactly that. I considered it a safety issue, but he apparently did not.

Richard Grimes
'99 XLS
Which year did Ford improve the design on the blend door?
Richard

1997
displeasure
on
matter
and that

states
taken to

have had

already been

search
people
there was

would
indeed a

had
no
had

Well, I'm the second owner, and I didn't take it back to the Ford dealer where I purchased it. My owner's manual says to take it to a Ford dealer, OR, a qualified repair shop. The shop that did my repair is quite qualified.