Brake break in

I'm putting new brakes all around on my 03 E500. I'm aware of the EBC disconnect and other nuances of changing MB brakes. Per the recommendations from Tiger, a regular contributor on this NG, I'm using Akebono Euro Ceramic pads and Ate PremiumOne slotted rotors all around. My question: Is there a break in process that should be done? What is the process? Thanks for the help. Howard

Reply to
Howard

With Akebono, they already broke in the pads for you... some kind of laser etching technology they used. However, usual breakin procudure should be implemented... it only takes 15 minutes of your time.

The Premium One rotors will also make lots of noise on first braking action... but it is completely normal and will disappear in no time.

Find a highway or road that is not congested or have little traffic... you don't want anyone behind you during this 5 minutes of your time.

From the speed of 60, 50 or even 40 MPH is adequate... Once you are at that speed... very slightly press your brake pedal... you want slight braking that slows the car down 10 MPH... it is approximatedly 5 seconds...

So let's say you are at 50MPH... you ever so slightly slow down to 40MPH... then let go of the brake and speed back up again... repeat 3 or 4 times and you are done!

So what is the other 10 minutes? LOL From and to your home.

Reply to
Tiger

And if you don't do that, at least follow the #1 rule which is don't do something stupid, eg immediate hard brake use to see how they work. Take it easy on them for a while.

Reply to
trader4

Thanks for the help Tiger and Trader4. I got the fronts on only today. They sent me solid rotors rather than vented. I did tell them it is a Sport model. I'll deal with them Monday. Tiger, I sent you an email a couple of days ago with a few questions on this job. I guess you didn't get the email. But, thanks again for your help and responses to my questions. Howard

Reply to
Howard

Nope... didn't see your email.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com?

send me another email with your orignial to see if I can get it.

Reply to
Tiger