Brake E500

I read online that the European rotors on the E500 are larger than rotors on the vehicles that are sold in the United States. The United States vehicles uses the European rotors that are designed for the 4-cylinder models in Europe. The European E550 has the 350 mm rotors in the front and 320 mm rotors in the rear. Can these rotors be obtain and used in the US.

Reply to
Homer

Possibly if you change all the rotors, calipers, mounting bracket, pads and possibly your wheels if no room.

I find MB rotors tend to be enough for most people. The biggest single improvement I highly recommends to anyone who wants better brake is to change the brake pads to aftermarket brands. It is instant, economical and major improvement over factory pads. For most people, I would stick with Ceramic type pads such as Akebono Euro Ceramic pads.

Next stop up would be Hawk racing pads sold by Tirerack... PBR Metal Master... but with these pads, you must understand that the pads need to be warmed up for optimal braking power... so the first braking action in the morning seems kinda numb but after this, the hotter it get, the more grabbing power it has. I have been using Metal Master for years... I think about 13 years... This is tried and true pad old tech.

Carbon pads are best used to tracks only...These really really needs to be warmed up. Unsuitable for normal driving unless you really are willing to understand the behavior of these pads.

I don't know or have any experience with the latest pads... I once had Performance Friction Carbon pads back in 1993 and boy, they really need warm up.

Reply to
Tiger

Tiger have you experienced increased wear on the disk rotor with non OEM pads? (especially the Hawk). I usually change my rotors every other pad change.

Reply to
me

Actually it is the opposite. The rotors last longer. I find with factory pads, rotors wear out real fast... this is usually due to glazing... the increased heat and friction as compared to upgraded pads.

Since the upgraded pads grabs much quicker and faster... there seems to be less heat and wear... don't quote me on this. I know this is very subjective.

In my 13 years of experience with Metal Masters, the pads last longer and the rotors never glaze.

Another upgrade I always do is buy slotted rotors. These last even longer than standard rotors and stop way way better than stock rotors.

I also had cross drilled rotors for nearly 8 years before I had to change it out... These are awesome but noisy... sounds just like airplane braking after you land... However, I find the slotted rotors just as good and much quieter.

So, a pad change with slotted rotors and your brake is pretty awesome.

Reply to
Tiger

Tiger, I have a E-Class(W211), the Akebono Euro Ceramic pads are not available for my year.

says they do not carry ceramic pads for this series. I found a local independent dealer in Los Angeles Carlo Auto Restore on Alhambra Ave, Telephone 323-225-0077 that recommended that I use the original equipment with the SBC system. He replaced the front pads and rotors without any problems in a couple of hours. He works on MB for a rental car company so he was able to get the parts the same day.

Reply to
Homer

Not much choices for new cars... but you will be able to buy Akebonos by the time you need another set. I know I can get the PBR Metal Master for your car.

Reply to
Tiger

I just went to Akebono's website and they do have brake pads for your car...

Front: EUR847 Rear: EUR986

It is just the matter of calling up to get these pads.

Call them up to verify the actual part number... sometime they messed up on the numbers.

Your job is done... but if you feel you want better performance, then do the swap. Private mechanic garage do not want to deal with this because it takes time for them to get it... and that time cost them money. Everyone wants easy money these days.

Reply to
Tiger

Reply to
Homer

The tirerack defaults to this brand on a general search Tire RackLOG IN BRAKES Shop By Vehicle Brands Installation 2003 Mercedes-Benz E500 Sedan Save Brake Components for 2003 Mercedes-Benz E500 Sedan Standard Model

IMPORTANT NOTE regarding brake rotors used on the track.

PADS/SHOES - Premium ATE Original PremiumOne Pads Product Details | Reviews Rear Fitment Note: Rear brake pads.

Price: $62.00 (axle set) Estimated Availability: In Stock Manufacturer Part #: EU986

Reply to
Homer

Yes, use those... If for some reason you need to change the rotor... usually not for 100,000 miles, go with ATE Premium One Slotted. They used to call those PowerDisc... I use these all the time.

Reply to
Tiger

Reply to
Homer