Fuel for V6 estima

I have just bought a 2000 Estima X V6

I don't have the handbook for it and wondered if anyone knows which octane of petrol to use in it? 91, 95, 98?

Thanks,

John

Reply to
mark123h

ps.the motor is 3000 cc (3 litre)

Reply to
mark123h

What country is that sold in?

Reply to
Mark A

New Zealand (imported second hand from Japan)

Reply to
mark123h

try a few gallons (liters?) of the lowest octane and see if it knocks on acceleration. If it does, go up one grade and try again. If not, continue to use the lowest grade.

Reply to
mack

most toyota petrol engine use regular unleaded, unless it is super charged or turbo charged. What engine does it have? do you see 2GR-FE anywhere

Reply to
EdV

It says 1MZ-FE on the engine plate

and model # MCR30W-MR

what does all that mean?

Reply to
mark123h

Reply to
EdV

The Estima is a minivan/MPV that is sold in Japan. When it was sold in the US, it was rebranded as the Previa. (I know a number of people waiting patiently for the already-existing hybrid Estima to be sold outside of Japan!)

Also, be aware that octane ratings are different in different countries. Some use RON, some use MON, while the US uses (RON+MON)/

  1. "regular" 87 octane in the US is about 93-95 octane in much of Europe, because of the different measurements in octane used between countries.

So, without finding a manual (or finding a dedicated Estima users group), I'd probably try the lower octane for a few tankfuls, and see how the car performs (for engine knocking, power/acceleration, and fuel economy), and then try the next grade up for another few tankfulls, and compare the results.

Reply to
mrv

M: Vehicle has an "M" series engine, as in 1MZ-FE CR30: Vehicle series (as in Estima) W: Body style - W for wagon MR: Trim level

Reply to
Ray O

ok, thanks for the replies everyone. I'll start with regular 91 petrol then. Trying to get hold of an owners manual for this car. Apparently they were only ever published in Japanese as this model wasn't sold anywhere other than Japan. I've heard you can get a translated copy someplace. cheers, John

Reply to
mark123h

doesn't look like they have the exact same engine as you, but at least they have a translated Estima manual! (I think the link I gave is for the repair manuals, though. From their main site they link to somewhere that offers translated owner's manuals/handbooks.)

Reply to
mrv

Wouldn't this vehicle have a knock sensor to retard the timing to protect the engine? These have been on all vehicles that I know of for decades!

Reply to
Mike Dobony

Yes, it is very likely that there is a knock sensor.

Reply to
Ray O