c200 1985 won't idle when hot

Got an old automatic carberator estate model. It has started to idle badly, can stall when going slow, but only when hot. Have had the car serviced, but still no joy. As it is an automatic it jumps about like a kangaroo when trying to go slow, OK when driving above 10MPH. Has anybody any ideas. Thanks Les

Reply to
Lezo

A vacuum leak would cause such symptoms. Listen for a hissing sound, check for vacuum leaks all hoses connected to the intake manifold.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Hmmm, bad gas? Accelerator pump (if the carb has one)?

Vacuum leak like TG says is very likely also, or dirty air filter is another likely cause.

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Checked the vacuum hose from airfilter to carb, took it off & revs went up. Checked air filter & found where the hose fed from (rocker cover) was thick with muck. I cleaned it all up & it runs a lot better. If it still runs a bit rough at least I know where to look.

Thanks for your help Lez

Reply to
Lez