C240 key problem

I've a 2001 C240 that I bought about 6 months ago.

Twice now in the past week, something eerily scary happened. I inserted the key into the slot and *nothing* happened. Once, twice, thrice, nothing. Stepped out and try to lock the car but couldn't. Just hung around for 5 minutes and tried again. The thing worked like nothing untoward had happened at all.

Like I said, it was both eerie and scary. Has anyone else had a similar experience? And is there a permanent solution to this?

Btw, I live in Dubai (United Arab Emirates) where the cost of an effing new key is $ 800!!

Ramapriya

Reply to
D Ramapriya

I would change the battery first.

Reply to
Tiger

I have a 2004 Vito that does the same and on occassion , it also locks the key in the ignition switch and can't be removed on other occasions, I happens with both keys I own and ther'e no pattern to it.

I've also been unable to get into the vehicle, the worst case was 20 minutes, it just wouldn't unlock, fortunately I was close enough to home to go and get the spare key, which then didn't work either, then all of a sudden the riginal key did work - no rhyme or reason.

I've come across two other Mercedes stuck in Petrol Stations (both saloons) that have had a similar problem.

My dealer flatly denies there's a problem, and of course you can never get the problem to re occur whilst at the dealership, I also happen to have a host of other minor elecrical gremlins, some of which have never worked since the day the vehicle was delivered, yet it appears Mercedes are unable to repair them.

Which is why I'll not be replacing this vehicle with another mercedes when the lease is up...

I also own a 1990 560 sec which has a metal key that you put in a lock and turn it....has no electrical gremlins and aprt from being a little tatty ( repsray organised) is a fine car. Shame about the overcomplicated stuff.

Alan M

Reply to
Alan Mudd

I have a 2005 220CDI Sport Coupe that did that once to me. However, the parking lot attendant told me it had happened many times there to other cars with hi-tech locks. It seems the car was in a zone where radio frequency inhibitors were usually used for security reasons (very near an airport zone) and that was blamed for the problem. It has never happened again but I have never gone there again with that car, either.

WÇY

Reply to
WÇY

D Ramapriya: sounds like you got a key problem. have had problems with these keys for this vehicle. changing the batteries does not solve the problem. Remote batteries are not used when inserted into the EIS(electronic ign. switch). There is a communication fault from the remote key and will intermittenly have this problem. There is an more updated remote key that is available(there are diagnostic bulletins for this problem from the factory).......

Reply to
WRENCHER

problem. There is

Thanks so much for the helpful responses. Wrencher, does the key problem mean a replacement or is there a less painful workaround?

Ramapriya

Reply to
D Ramapriya

Replacment is needed.