CDN US price differential

Can anyone take a stab at why the '07 E320 CDI base price is US$51k in the US and CDN$67.5 in Canada, with the exchange rate around 10% and has every sign of being stable, if not decreasing in the future

cheers, guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

Import taxes higher in Canada?

This is not a stab, it is cautious probe.

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

I don't believe so. There are a number of vehicles from various manufacturers selling for comparable prices if one keeps in mind that standard features may be somewhat different. In this case, the cars are identical.... the price differential originates from DaymlerChrysler..... I guess the message is Canadians are suckers.

cheers

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

One reason is they are different

A good start would be for the Canadian Government to have the same specifications as the cars imported into the US.

The requirement for stronger bumpers makes no sense when the same government encourages people to buy lighter and more efficient cars. Also gives manufacturers the excuse to increase the price of the cars made for Canada and protects Canadian dealers.

Do you know that American MB dealers are not allowed sell a new MB to a Canadian resident?

I can give you an approximate cost in Can $ of importing a US$51K MB

51k x 1.1=56.1 Duty 6,5 %=63,793 Broker $400=64,193 MB mode cost up to 7,000=64,893 Several inspections, about $500.00=65,393

We are not including GST+PST , you lose part of the warranty and if it is a new car, you can not get it because they will not sell it to you.

So much for free trade.

John

Reply to
John