Chainsaw oil in Mercedes

I saw a thread that implied that using chainsaw oil improved things for a Mercedes engine. One terrifying statement talked about the oil "glueing".

The reason why a variety of different oils exists is that different engines and operating conditions demand different qualities for the oil. But there are two requirements that must always be met:

... the oil should be able to flow when cold

... the oil must retain its viscosity, such that it coats surfaces, when it is hot.

If the oil cannot flow when cold, it cannot lubricate the bearings - major expense looms.

The idea of adding "foriegn" material, such as chainsaw oil, is flawed. If your engine is making a din, it is because it is worn.

Years ago, in the UK, I recall some unscrupulous operators putting banana skins into gearboxes to reduce noise. This was adequate to get the new owner of the car off the forecourt, but after that, repair was the only answer.

I have owned numerous, all petrol Mercedes and I have always felt thet their engines were not of the quietest. An aged 1972 280CE clattered happily but it soldiered on for years - a family of 6 from London to Cannes and back in a coupe!! Even my almost new 500SL was not dead quiet, certainly not what is possible with a Jaguar engine. But the reliability of Mercedes engines, if carefully maintained, is excellent.

I believe that they specify certain oils because they are best for the job. Chainsaw oil may provide extra viscosity but it sounds risky to me. Look at the book, ask the experts and, if extra viscosity is the answer, buy a thicker oil. And please don't talk about cost - rebuilding the engine will cost thousands if it's done properly and you will for ever wish you'd looked after it better.

I think this group contains some excellent advice but the "chainsaw massacre" thread borders on hocus pocus.

My 2 cents worth.

RayH

Reply to
dont.bl