Chevy, better than MB?!?!

Ok, this is odd. Possibly related to different homologation processes, or just a typo? Since we're talking long wheel version, on european sites we find the following: Benz 2 tons vs Audi 1,830kg. IOW a 170 kg (377lbs) difference.

John

Reply to
zenith red

I don't understand the discrepancy either. MBUSA web site does not list theweight of the S500 4 Matic (it does for the RWD but the former is a couple of hyndred pounds heavier. Here's the S-class 4 matic weight from MBs 'international' site:

The long wheelbase version of the Audi A8 (the MB is only available as a long wheelbase version in the USA so that's the appropriate comparison) weighs in at 4399 lbs:

L++00>

Reply to
Harvey Louzon

I have a 2003 C230 Sport and the wife has a 2003 Honda V6 loaded. The Honda and the Mer were within $4,000 of each other. Most time I have to get up earlier than my wife to get the C230. We both WANT to drive the Mer. My wife summed it up most succently when explaining why she alwys drove my car over her Honda. She said the "The Honda was a great , smooth and reliable car, it just doesn't have a soul. The Mer is FUN to drive."

Reply to
Jack Bauer

Furthermore,

respectively).

By the way look at car and drivers write up on the A8:

In short it is slow, has a poor ride for a luxury car and is heavier than the S500 4 Matic. It's styling is uninspiring (granted that's subjective but IMO even Lexus would be radial by comparison).

What's to like about it?

Harvey Louzon

Doesn't take a genius to notice the general hostility against the car in that article. I have read a half dozen tests on european renowned magazines, and I haven't come across anything similar to that pile of biased crap. The fact that all cars tested were short wheel drive versions doesn't justify such a disparity of judgement. In short, it might not be the faster in its class, but it isn't the slowest either; it's got the best cornering abilities with the optional Sport suspension, and with standard air suspension it rides beatifully; according to their respective manufacturer's data, the Benz is considerably heavier (EU specs); looks might be subjective, but to me it's the sexiest luxury sedan at this present moment. At least in SWB with optional lowered suspension (availability in the US?) and 19" wheels. You can't judge this car's styling by just looking at some pics. I know a few people who were like "blah, it looks like a Buick" or "man, that's just a big A4" before seeing the actual car. A visit to the Audi dealer sufficed to change their minds.

Here's a more constructive and impartial driving impression from MT:

John

"There is no such thing, at this date of the world's history, in America, as an independent press. You know it, and I know it! There is not one of you who dares to write your honest opinions, and if you did, you know beforehand that it would never appear in print."

-- John Swinton, former Chief of Staff for the New York Times

mber=1

Reply to
zenith red

oops Short wheel base, even. Sucks to be typing in three different languages simultaneously, I guess :P Anyway, getting back to this post's main subject, I am glad that GM-USA vehicles are starting to catch up with the competition. A couple of days ago I saw a black Chevy Avalanche Z71 in this parking lot, and it's the perfect vehicle for carrying the bikes, bicycles, dogs, and friends. And for some off road madness as well, despite its bulkiness...

John

[snip]
Reply to
zenith red

Only the long wheelbase version of the big Audi is for sale in the US. Ditto for the S class.

Harvey Louzon