Chrysler upgrade?

Just watched the local car expert, he reviews a new car every Friday morning on the News. Today he did the Chrysler 300 and said that it is the new benchmark for all American can makers. He said the ride is a good a European car costing $20,000 more. He has never raved about a car like this before. He had the top of the line touring model with GPS and all that costs $33,000 but said there is a base model under $23,000 that includes all power. Maybe Chrysler has taken some ideas from MB.

Reply to
dewatkins

Depends on what you want. I don't want the ride in my Chyrsler/Dodge car to be as "good as a European car". And I want both the Chrysler product AND the Mercedes to have less expensive repairs than EITHER marque has had in the last five to ten years of model runs. It will be interesting to see how durability and reliability work out.

Larry

96 Dodge (Chrysler company) Viper (rides just like an American muscle car - thank goodness)

99 Mercedes S 420 (60,000 miles - recipient of new vaccum system for doors, new compressor for cooling, and a few other things totalling about the same price as a small Ford focus).

Reply to
REInvestments

Is that what he really said? ;-)

Kal

Reply to
Kalman Rubinson

Certainly they do have:

Juergen

dewatk>

Reply to
Juergen .

It kinda reminds me of the "family truckster" from national lampoon's vacation.

Hopefully the build quality is better.

Bernard

Reply to
Bernard Farquart

I guess they cost less because the engineering and tooling cost have been paid off on W210. Good of them to pass down the cost saving to the consumers...

Oliver

dewatk> Just watched the local car expert, he reviews a new car every Friday morning

Reply to
Ennui Society

Here is the text from their web page:

Car expert Ed Wallace takes a look at the new Chrysler 300 sedan. It comes with a choice of three engines: 190 hp V-6, 250 hp V-6 and 340 hp V-8 (This is the Hemi engine and only on the 300C). Base price is $22,970, but that includes power windows and locks and really doesn't need any options, although Ed would recommend anti-lock brakes forsure. The 300 Touring model, is hard loaded including navigation system, leather, traction control and electronic stability control. List price is $34,215. Ed says this is without a doubt the best driving and handling American sedan he's reviewed. Cadillacs and Town Cars should drive this well. You can catch "Wheels with Ed Wallace" on 570 KLIF on Saturday mornings from

8am-1pm. You can also read Ed's column every Sunday in the Automotive Section of the Fort Worth Star Telegram.

Reply to
dewatkins

Gets a rather mixed review in yesterday's Sunday Times (UK's leading quality Sunday with a circulation of about 1.3 m).

Technically not up to equivalent-engined BMWs. Audis and Mercs, nor is the interior, but for the money GBP 30K, at least GBP 10K cheaper than the named rivals, well worth it. One point made is that the 300C is a new large car in an area largely abandoned by other manufacturers because of the introduction of SUVs.

To me the most significant info was that this car type was finally being offered in the UK. Maybe this means we will now see the whole Chrysler range offered here. What this will contribute to total automobile pleasure is moot, but that's up to individual buyers to decide.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

What is the political commentary in the review of the 300? I can not see any in it. I never listen to his shows. just on the 3 min TV appearance, maybe he doesn't have the opportunity to spout junk there.

Dave

Reply to
dewatkins

For what it's worth, I found the review on line:

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling