Defective dipstick 1998 Avalon

I have a somewhat bizzare problem, which is that my dipstick doesn't read accurately anymore. I seem to get a long thin trail up about half the length of the dipstick, instead of a nice solid reading at the bottem where it's supposed to be.

I'm pretty sure this started when I got it back from a shop in the summer, I'm afraid they may have overfilled my engine oil? Anyways, when I did my own change last month, I let it drain a long time and very carefully filled to what the engine + filter capacity is. The car has never burned oil, so I'm not worried about the level getting low, but I would prefer to have a functioning dipstick.

Any thoughts on causes / cures?

Reply to
Danny L.

There is nothing that can go wrong with a dipstick, other than the tube it slides into can become lose and either come out when the stick is removed or become raised. Either of these conditions can be worked around. If the tube comes out, you can flatten it a bit so it fits tightly into the hole in the block. If it sinks into the block (not a very likely scenario because the tube has a positive stop on it) then you can fix this by buying a new dip stick tube.

I doubt you have anything wrong with the dip stick at all, especially if you are the original owner, and you take reasonable care to not destroy your stuff.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

More likely a defective dipstick operative.

Assume the level to be where he oil wets the dipstick all the way across. Try taking a reading when the oil is cold, before starting. Ultimate cure is to replace the dipstick operative.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

HA! You nasty, insensitive, prejudiced man! Hmmph! /:^ /

Clearly the "dipstick" is not a Toyota part.

Reply to
Philip

What do you think the capacity is? The six-cylinder takes at least 5 quarts. I would say let it sit for an hour or so before determining the true level.

The other possibility is the dipstick is not seating properly. You might even try another Toyota vehicle's dipstick that is the same model as yours.

Reply to
badgolferman

Over here a 'dipstick' is slang for an idiot. It derives from the oil level stick sometimes being called the 'idiot stick' because it is the most basic of instruments. However, posts such as these prove beyond doubt that the metal dipstick is not dipstick proof. LOL

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Back in the Olden Days when gas was $0.32 per gallon, and the guy at the station checked the oil and filled the tires all while the gas was pumping, we got a pretty good reading off of the dipstick in under 2 minutes. Yes, there were some jerks out there that would "short stick" to sell a quart that wasn't needed, but people with integrity could see if that quart was truly needed in the time it takes to ask, "may I help you?" then go start the pump and raise the hood.

The correct method of reading any dipstick is to pull the stick and wipe it off, put it back in, then pull it out again and read it. It is common that oil will migrate up the stick while the engine is running, which can cause the oil to be pulled along the side of the stick.

That's a possibility, but this would result in a short reading, not one where the dip stick reader would be concerned that there was too much oil. Of course, if the stick was not seated well and the person reading the stick responded by adding a quart, then the level would be high, but this wouldn't cause the oil to be drug up the side of the stick.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I expressed as much and more elegantly. ;^)

Reply to
Philip

Discretion and tact is probably lost on dipsticks. ;-)

Huw

Reply to
Huw

snip

Those were also the days when NOBODY drove SOHC or DOHC engines with their propensity to retain a lot of oil around the valve train.

Reply to
Philip

Truth but ... I was speaking only to you and, you understood. ;^)

Reply to
Philip

Manual says 4.5 qts, 4.7 qts with filter. It's never taken 5 quarts in the past, always a bit more than 4 and a half.

The readings I did were with a cold engine.

Not sure where I'll find another dipstick (other than the ones who hijacked this thread to call me an idiot), but if I find myself parked next to another 1998 avalon, maybe I'll get the guts to ask them.

Then again, "hey buddy, can I borrow your dipstick" might not be a good thing to say to a stranger.

Reply to
Danny L.

I have neverj measured, but I can't imagine any automobile engine thaty can hold more than a couple of cups of oil outside of the oil pan. This is hardly enough to cause one to be concerned about anything relative to this discussion.

When the engine is warm -- has been driven for more than a couple of minutes -- the oil should drain relatively quickly, surely in less than an hour - as was suggested by another poster.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Your manual is probably right, but my Haynes manual says 5.0 qts for

1MZFE engine.
Reply to
badgolferman

You don't need another dipstick. Wipe the stick you have, and put it back in and then read it.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Then expand your imagination. The voluminous oil gallery system in any OHC V-engine will hold 2-3 cups of oil alone. Then there are all the spillways directing oil back to the crankcase. And let us not overlook the engines that mount the oil filter up-side-down or on its side. These are examples of why comparing a 2 minute reading to an overnight (cold) reading may show a half quart difference ... or more.

Reply to
Philip

Exactly...I've seen that effect for as long as I've been 'dipping' the oil (and that's _awhile_ mister)

Reply to
Gord Beaman

This happened to me all the time when I checked the oil at the dealership, and I always checked it there, in case they forgot to put in oil. I usually had to reinsert and wipe off the dipstick at least 3 times before I got a good reading.

Reply to
do_not_spam_me

Some old style dipsticks with a metal cap can have the cap slide up and let the stick go in too far. One bad Chrysler 5-star dealer misdiagnosed this as a worn-out transmission, but it was simply underfilled by over a quart.

Reply to
do_not_spam_me

I'm going to believe you're not an idiot and say to check your crankcase ventilation system. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the specifics of your engine.

Reply to
Fishface