Do you want to drive a Mercedes for only 10 Bucks (driver inclusive) ?

Then come to good old Germany.

9 of 10 Taxies are Mercedes; most of the rest is BMW 530 D.
Reply to
124mph

Technically you wouldn't be *driving* the Mercedes would you? If you want to drive a Mercedes for free go to a dealers and ask for a test drive. You get a nice new one to drive not some shitty old diesel that's been around the clock 3 times :o) Mike

Reply to
Just Mike

Both statements are simply false.

In former years Mercedes had a nation-wide share of up to 70+ per cent in the taxi market, this is down to 50+ per cent.

This has two reasons:

- Cost MB taxis are expensive compared to the competition Times are rough for taxi companies so the tendency for cheaper cars.

- Low quality MB taxis have many more breakdowns than they once had, the situation changed in 1995 with the then-new E-Class W210, since then the breakdown-rate went up. With the current W-Class W211 the situation is even worse, there are loads of - mostly electronically related - problems of all kind.

The other half of the taxi market is _not_ BMW 530D, but a great variety of marques and models, like Japanese or Korean minivans and middle class cars from Opel, Ford, Audi etc. pp. (and of course some BMW).

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

why then buying a Mercedes? Who in heaven buys such a car?

GH

"Juergen ." schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com...

Reply to
GH

A lot of taxi customers prefers to be driven in a Mercedes.

Also a Mercedes has a real high resale value plus the customer care of Mercedes for taxi owners is excellent, like 24/7 emergency repair service, rent taxis whilst accident repair etc. pp.

And there is a lot of non-Mercedes owned service stations and parts dealers with very attractive prices for older MB taxis.

Plus in former times there was the big advantage of excellent car quality and durability - every hour not on the road costs money with a taxi so MB had a clear advantage here over the competition.

All the above valid for Germany, the situation might be - and is - different in other countries.

Juergen

Juergen .

Go read the Maybach thread...

:~)

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Nobody.

In heaven we will get wings so we will be able to fly without going through an airport queue.

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

My impression exactly, i.e. whilst most taxis are Mercs there are many that are not. I venture to suggest that there are very few BMW taxis.

Merc taxis are also relatively popular in the Netherlands and Switzerland, to name two examples.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

The figures I mentioned are real figures, not only impressions (although my impressions do reflect these, too).

I wondered when I lately saw the newest figure - to my shame I have to admit I forgot the exact figure and what the source was, but it was a reliable source and the figure began with a 5 - because they mean a sharp decrease; not that the decrease would have any significant impact on Mercedes sales figures - German-wide there is only ca. 60.000 taxis if I recall correctly - but it is the loss of prestige for the brand.

It surely depends on - not so many in the North (hot tip since a couple of years is/was the old BMW 7-series as diesels), but more in the south.

What one can see is that nowadays there is more vans (or minivans) amongst the taxis - and here MB has a relatively weak position as there is only two vans, (the Vaneo - rare as a taxi as it is relatively expensive, small and of doubtful quality as a taxi) and now the Viano (old V-class was a disaster in terms of quality), but this a bit too big and a bit too much commercial van to many so the Japanese (and Korean) do have their market share in this segment.

In former years the standard 180D/190D/200D (ponton, fintail, /8, W123, W124) were THE choice in terms of reliability and also total cost of ownership, but currently this is not the case anymore.

I wonder how MB will react - and if.

In e.g. Denmark, too.

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

Since i'm not in Germany, i won't say about the situation in Germany. But in Singapore, where i'm presently based, i have to say the best taxis in Singapore are the Mercedes-Benz taxis, whether the W 124,W 210 & just few days ago, the W 211 E 220 became available in Singapore ! In sharp comparison, all the Japanese taxis in Singapore are simply a big pile of junk & the few London Cabs here aren't much better !!

I've been a regular Mercedes-Benz taxi user & in fact have been keeping track of some of the taxis i have used over the years noting details like total mileage covered, major parts changed & any other problem areas etc. I have to say that, in comparison to all the other taxis i've used so far, the Mercedes ones, whether E-Class, Vito or Sprinter are the overall better ones !

I personally know of Mercedes taxi drivers here who drive 700 Km a day & their taxis cover 300000 Km per year & still in virtually excellent condition ! In contrast, i hear of (other types) of taxi drivers (mostly Japanese) who only manage 350 Km a day so that even if their taxi costs less, they still find it harder to survive compared to the Mercedes taxi driver, who although having a more expensive taxi, actually covers a further distance & via more innovative levels of services offered still manage to survive.

Therefore while i agree that the higher cost of acquiring a Mercedes-Benz taxi or otherwise is (& would remain !) a disadvantage i have to disagree on the issue of 'low' quality ! The quality remains superior when compared to almost any other around, even from outside Germany !

Juergen . wrote:

Reply to
House of Chin

My impression backed up by your figures...

Or your figures confirmed by my impression....

:-) DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

"GH" wrote in news:cl5mv2$gdm$ snipped-for-privacy@news.mch.sbs.de:

In France it is very simple : MB does big rebate for taxi drivers, as well as Peugeot does.

That is why 90% of taxis are even MB or Peugeot.

Reply to
Stephane Poirey

Sprinter taxis?

That must be roomy.