E320 down on power?

I haven't had the car more than a few months so I don't know if this is how it should drive or not, but upon hard acceleration over 4000rpm the engine seems very sluggish, as in its all revved up but not producing any power, or making the car accelerate much faster. My previous car was a V6 Camry which was exactly the opposite, over 4000rpm it just took off. There is no way my car accelerates from 0-60 in 7.0 seconds as claimed, or its so much smoother than I'm used to that it has a completely different feel. In the lower RPMs the car has a lot of torque, especially from a stand still. Keep in mind it' s a 4MATIC with 50,000 miles. Before I bring this up with my MB dealer I wanted to hear the thoughts of some more experienced MB drivers. Thanks.

Reply to
Paddington

The E320 has a dual stage intake manifold; the second stage opens when the accelerator is more fully depressed and, the engine takes off. I suspect your engine's second stage isn't opening or that the air flow to the engine is restricted - perhaps by a very dirty air filter element.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Paddington, I had the same problem with my 1997 E320 - turned out to be the Air Mass Meter. It can be checked at most independent (honest) garages. IF this is the problem, the part is located in the intake tube between the firewall and the intake, the part can be purchased for around $180 at parts houses handling MBZ parts, and the best part is that, with a screw driver to loosen two bands, the part can be changed by you in about

10-m>I haven't had the car more than a few months so I don't know if this is how
Reply to
Kennith.Hensley

Paddington, I had the same problem with my 1997 E320 - turned out to be the Air Mass Meter. It can be checked at most independent (honest) garages. IF this is the problem, the part is located in the intake tube between the firewall and the intake, the part can be purchased for around $180 at parts houses handling MBZ parts, and the best part is that, with a screw driver to loosen two bands, the part can be changed by you in about

10-m>I haven't had the car more than a few months so I don't know if this is how
Reply to
Kennith.Hensley

Thanks to T.G and Kennith for the quick replies. Tomorrow I will look into the air filter element and the Air Mass Meter. The car just went through a starmark certification in December and I can't believe they checked it off in the engine performance category, evidently they didn't really let it out. What I forgot to mention and these two might go hand in hand, is the check engine light is on along with the message "Check Engine Electronics". I posted about this roughly a week ago, the light appeared and stayed on for about 2 days before it went away, and now its back as of yesterday. I can't remember if the car was like this before the light was on, but I suspect it was.

Reply to
Paddington

When my '96 E320's air mass flow meter failed the "Check Engine" light behaved as you describe: on for a day or so then off for an some period of time, then back on.

J. M. Cook

Reply to
None

Are you using premium fuel as designated?P.

Reply to
Peter Klein

could be the mass air flow meter needs replacement. also consider a carbon blaster treatment; it did wonders for my 98 W210..

Reply to
Fathead

What is a "carbon blaster" treatment?

Reply to
Josh

It's a fuel injection system cleaner and, separately, a fuel additive. It clears carbon build up from bad gas and/or not enough highway driving. Both products are safe for use with MB catalytic converters. Now, there's lots of other systems out there. If you're in the US, Goodyear facilities have a pressurized machine that does the same thing. My independent MB mechanic is a Carbon Blaster fan. It made a noticable difference, that and fresh O2 sensors, both at the

65,000 mile mark.

"Josh"

Reply to
Fathead