e320 key . . . am I really out of options?

Has anyone heard of there being a limit on sequence or number of keys due to Mercedes chip/computer limitations? I recently purchased a '97 E320 with a single, switchblade key. The alarm and key functions worked fine until I ordered a standard key from the dealer. When I picked up the car after the dealer "programmed" the new key in, the new key worked but I later found the old key no longer started the car. Back to the dealer who said something like "OOPS! your switchblade key is from series "8", so it cannot ever be used again since it is at the top of the series." Two of the dealer's mechanics spent considerable time trying to re-program my switchblade key vs car including various door entry and ignition tricks from other cars but all for naught. Thanks for any help, Email replies, please just substitute "yahoo" for "nospam"

Reply to
green e320

My understanding is that when key number eight comes off the hook at the parts depot, that;s it.

Bill Ditmire Ditmire Motorworks,Inc.

425 White Horse Pike Absecon,NJ 08201
609-641-3392
Reply to
Bill Ditmire

With a DAS3 car you have 8 key tracks, and each key track has 3 segments.

Once they are all used you need a new EIS switch.

Switchblade keys are for DAS2b cars though, so IFZ instead of EIS. I think the principle is the same but to be honest it's so long since I knocked out a key on a DAS2b car that I can't remember...

Reply to
miknik

Certainly NOT what I was hoping to hear. Just out of curiosity, if the IFZ is the infrared remote sensor, how is it related to the key and ignition? I thought that there was a "chip" in the keys and those "chips" interfaced electrically through the ignition circuit. Thanks

Reply to
green e320

Yeah, with the IFZ control unit, which is responsible for immobilising your car.

Reply to
miknik