EGR Valve

Is there an "EGR Valve" on a 1979 W123 300D?

Reply to
randallbrink

Wan-ning Tan

My '84 300D does in fact have an EGR and it is not a California model. Randall, you can easily find it on the front of your engine. It is a tube looking device that is connected from the exhaust manifold, and goes to the intake manifold. EGR stands for "Exhaust Gas Recirculation", and does just that. It recirculates exhaust back into the combustion stream. It is possible that the 79 model does not have it, but I am betting that it does. On my engine, the tube is metal, and at the "top" where it comes from the exhaust (or intake) manifold, there is a "flying saucer" shaped device with a vacuum hose running to it (this is the actual valve). I'll look for a picture of it, and see if I can post the link.

DougS

Reply to
DougS

Thanks to all. I do not believe they had that on the domestic U.S. W123s for 1979.

Reply to
randallbrink

My car is a 1982 California car, and it came stock with an EGR valve. I think it was the first year to have one. Mine is bypassed and the engine runs fine and several mechanics, including the owner of Metric Motors, the rebuilder who remanufactured my engine, have assured me that the bypass of the EGR will not cause any problems, although it may make passing a smog test problematical.

I live in extremely rural Eastern California, and we are not required to get our cars smogged here.

Reply to
heav

The MBEPC does show a valve for a 123130 chassis. Provide complete vin and I will be happy to inquire on price and availability if you like.

visit link to seeillustration.

Les

Reply to
Les4Parts