Mondeo Engine "Splash Shield"

Hi

Can anybody tell me the correct name for the Under Engine Splash Shield on a Mondeo MK2. The front part that connects under the bumper to the front part of the subframe to be exact. The existing one has seen many better days and need replacing!!

Regards

Matthew

Reply to
Matthew Foster

In message , Matthew Foster writes

I think its just called the undertray. Is it a TD? I didn't think that the petrol models had them. I don't think they are all that cheap and second hand ones are often damaged.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Hi

Its not a diesel, its a 1997 1.8LX. If its not an essential component and they are expensive then i probably won't replace it. It certainly dosent seem to be made of a particulary durable material. I was just concerned if it was there as an anti corrosion measure.

Regards

Matthew

Reply to
Matthew Foster

It's only point in life is to keep the engine bay clean as you plough through the puddles on the road!

Reply to
Paul King

Mine made a break for freedom on the A10 about a year ago and Ford wanted something silly to replace it, can't remember the exact price but something over £60 IIRC. I've still got the main undertray which I think is more to reduce external noise than anything else.

Reply to
Rushing7

The message from "Paul King" contains these words:

Undershields are also there to reduce drag and external noise.

Reply to
Guy King

You never know, I've found Ford dealers "very" reasonable for plastic bits, interior trim etc. Give 'em a ring :)

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

I Did, They quoted £25 so i might pop down there saturday before the council start chucking the salt on the roads!!

Regards

Matthew

Reply to
Matthew Foster

The big engine under tray on the diesel models is also there to stop your car leaking oil and diesel and associated gunk on to the roads. Almost all diesel cars have this fitted as diesel engines tend to get very dirty and oily when they get older.

Reply to
radar

The message from "radar" contains these words:

Really? I bet you'll find most didn't until the noise regulations started getting tougher.

I've not worked on one new enough to have one yet.

Reply to
Guy King

My 2.0 16v has one.

Reply to
Michael Rodgers

In message , Michael Rodgers writes

Mine hasn't. Don't know if it ever did.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Hmmm.... my 1997 2.0 Ghia X has one.

One thing I've noticed though - the red plugs that retain the 10 or so screws need replacing every 4-5 years, cos they lose their tension due to the fact that they become 'threaded' after a while. They're basically red rawlplugs, just a slightly different shape.

Oddly, I had a late 1997 2.0 GLX Mondy as a company car - no engine undershield fitted.

My partner's 1997 2.0 Ghia X (petrol) - no engine undershield either. My partner's sister - 1998 1.8 GLX (diesel) - undershield fitted (but huge hole cut around oil filter by fleet maintenance company - shocking!) My 1997 2.0 Ghia X (petrol) - undershield fitted

So there's really no rhyme or reason here! My advice - if it had one in production, get a replacement!

Cheers

Al

Reply to
Alan Dempster

Talking of this - this weekend I changed the oil and filter on my Renault Master van (98/S, 2.5D), and I was expecting to have to remove the engine undershield on that, but Renault have cleverly included a hole directly under the sump plug (and the sump plug is perfectly horizontal), and a flap, secured by two plastic torx-headed screws that folds down to reveal the oil filter. Absolutely superb design - made the job extremely easy. Also changed the front brake pads and that was an absolute piece of piss. It's nice when a straightforward job is as straightforward as it should be.

Peter

-- "The truth is working in television is not very glamorous at all. I just go home on my own at night and sit alone and eat crisps."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

And it worked well on our Mondeo (it didn't have one when we bought it!).

Reply to
DervMan