External trans. oil cooler for 300SD?

Reply to
Chas Hurst

What type of external oil cooler do I need to get for an 85 300SD? If I remember correctly, they connect to the oil cooler lines with rubber hoses and clamps, so I guess the only issue with compatibility is if the rubber lines have the correct ID for the 300SD's cooler lines. Can you recommend a good source for one? I need to install one because water from the radiator is apparently turning the trans oil to "strawberry milk". (But if fatal damage has already been done to the bands, requiring them to be replaced, it is a waste to get an oil cooler, as I am not going to spend the big $$$ to have the tranny repaired....will buy another used car. If, however, it might get a few more months life out of the tranny, then it would be well worth it)

Reply to
JimiGunne

yes the original radiator has an integrated transmission cooler, which is how you go that strawberry milkshake to begin with...

I agree that replacing the radiator is the best way to go. No monkeying with locating aftermarket coolers or hoses clamps...

Make sure to drain the tranny oil ASAP. I would probably drain it a couple of times over the first couple of days after you get the new radiator in place.

You'll find out soon enough if there is damage to the bands...

marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Have a local radiator shop repair the radiator. Transmission oil cooler is in the bottom tank.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Either the radiator repair shop, Ebay, or search for used mercedes parts on the internet.

Reply to
trader4

Just change the radiator... cost you less than trying to monkeying.

Reply to
Tiger

by the time you strap a cooler that will not work plug the tranny lines at the tank you will have spent twice the cash and it will still cook in the ciity in stop & go traffic.

the case, minus a few cans!

Reply to
pool man

Reply to
Ernie Sparks

Thanks all....I searched the internet for a radiator, found a new one for $130.00 and that included UPS shipping! Installation was a snap. Have done one trans fluid change, will do two more...changing filer on the last one...and then cross my fingers.

Reply to
JimiGunne

You'll be alright... keep changing those fluids... about 10 miles driving is enough to drain again.

Reply to
Tiger

Reply to
<djmcreynolds1