Fifth Gear beats up a W124

A torture test on a W124 'estate' and it comes up smelling like a rose, despite the "colossal" mileage on the 'clock', 165k miles.

Reply to
John Mauel

I forgot the link. Smooth.

Now, where did I leave my '94 E320?

Reply to
John Mauel

Mmm... what a shame they did to that nice car... Still the door shuts perfectly!

Reply to
Tiger

The explosions all seem fake to my non-military eye. When they denotate a charge under the hood there's another explosion in the back. I also think that when the cannon is fired, the w124 explodes too soon.

Why does everything always have to be larger than life?

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

And why must each and every car explode every time it's smashed up or tossed over the cliff? I know from the real-world experience, they don't always explode upon impact unless the extraordinary circumstances occur.

My sister-in-law's 1993 Toyota Corolla didn't explode when a new Cadillac Escalade smashed into its rear-end at 50mph...

My other peeve is see> Tiger wrote:

Reply to
OM

I think they usually even explode while in mid air. Looks even cooler that way.

Lucky for her.

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

Now that I think of it, yes, you are right. Cannon impact also doesn't make car explode since the windows are already busted by the monster truck... They added some explosive there too.

Reply to
Tiger

On the second shot there's about 3 seconds between the firing and the impact. On the third there's only a fraction of a second. I wonder if the cannon wasn't shooting blanks all the time and the 'impacts' weren't all more or less synchronized explosions.

It's not that safe to shoot cannons in 21st century west European countries ;)

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

Yes, it's the law of movie physics: any car flying off a cliff MUST burst into flames the second it's airborne.

The corollary is any car that lands with a person still alive will burst into flames the second the person is JUST far away enough to be safe.

Reply to
Richard Sexton