FREE! FREE! FREE! W116 300SD Engine!

Would someone be so kind to remove this running,150,000 mile,well maintained engine out of my garage?Seeing that there is no photo section here,go to my photo album.

Surely someone out there wants it:

new glow plugs replaced turbocharger complete (minus starter and alternator) engine,everything,just drop in and go!!!! It's driving me nuts,must go!And free...

Reply to
CaptainW116

This would be a good engine for a local fishing boat or for power generation, both of which would use a non-automotive transmission.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Volvo Penta seems to be the favored boat powerplant here but using as a generator is a very interesting thought.

Reply to
CaptainW116

That's what those old VW Rabbit/Jetta diesel motors are for. They're relatively lightweight and can power a lot. Unless one wants to power a small hospital, the the M-B might be more sutiable.

This would be a good engine to convert to corn oil. It's just sitting there, waiting, waiting, waiting....

Collin KC8TKA

Reply to
Cheesehead

Auto engines make poor marine engine unless substantially reworked. As a generator engine it would work for a simple set running at 3600 rpm, but the noise!

Reply to
Chas Hurst

You are right about the noise! LOL... How about dropping it into a pickup truck? You gotta have a pick up truck in Alaska...

Reply to
Tiger

And where is it located?

Reply to
trader4

waiting,waiting,waiting.....for you. :) Come get it ;)

Reply to
CaptainW116

Would keep the bears and moose away :)

Reply to
CaptainW116

Sadly cursed with a Jeep Cherokee (XJ),that looks so out of place in my driveway.

Reply to
CaptainW116

Anchorage,Alaska.

Reply to
CaptainW116

I see absolutely no reason a MB diesel, non-turbo, wouldn't work fine in a marine environment. Just make certain you use fresh water cooling and it should work fine. I have no idea what would need to be "re-worked" since diesels work great at constant rpm, hence their success as marine and generator power. A friend of mine put a 190 diesel in his 42-ft trimaran and it worked out perfect. Also, I have the original generator which came out of the Star of India in San Diego.....a 30kw unit with a Detroit 2-71 two-stroke with blower. I'm not certain that with a little ingenuity you might be able to use a large radiator with air drawn and exited from on deck to cool a diesel.

Reply to
Ernie Sparks

Engines for marine application are required to produce power in a constant manner and engine speed consistant with hull design. Auto engines need only to make 15-25 hp for most of their lives and make their rated power at an rpm that is rarely sustained in highway use. And that applies to auto diesels too. Asking your car engine to produce it's rated power for hours on end will quickly wear it out. That is why marine diesels typically produce their power at a much lower speed and a lower power output than a car engine. As to your friends boat, perfection is in the eyes of the beholder. And finally I did post that the diesel in question would work as a generator engine. Detroit diesels have been widely used for decades as generator engines. Nobody uses them much any more because they much too noisey and use too much fuel.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

I was not referring to a turbo diesel although they also seem to work fine in marine applications. The only difference between a marine diesel and an over-the-road diesel is in the cooling system, and the fact that marine diesels tend to get more attention and a cleaner environment. Otherwise there is essentially no difference.....except price. a Cummins marine diesel is almost identical to a truck diesel. Incidentally, the same is true of gas engines as well. Most high-performance boats use nothing more than hopped up auto engines, with the exception of the high-performance marine diesels which are all virtually turbo-charged. Have a friend with three in his ocean racer. Just touches the tops of the waves on his way to Catalina Island.

Reply to
Ernie Sparks